OT: 10-20-06 German man's home destroyed by meteor

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
We were apparently in a Meteor field last week.

Did anyone know we were in the field???

10-20-2006 German cottage destroyed by meteor

BERLIN - A fire that destroyed a cottage near Bonn and injured a 77-year-old man was probably caused by a meteor and witnesses saw an arc of blazing light in the sky, German police said on Friday.

Burkhard Rick, a spokesman for the police in Siegburg east of Bonn, said the fire gutted the cottage and badly burned the man's hands and face in the incident on October 10.

"We sought assistance from Bochum observatory and they noted that at that particular moment the earth was near a field of meteoroid splinter and it could be assumed that particles had entered the atmosphere," he said.

"The particles usually don't reach the surface because they disintegrate in the atmosphere," he added. "But some can make it to the ground. We believe this was a bolide (meteoric fireball) with a size of no more than 10 mm."

Spacehead

Lifer
Jun 2, 2002
Orionids are/were going on lately, not sure of the exact date. Too cloudy around here to see anything.

Something like that could happen anytime, really, not just during a shower.

Hope he'll be OK.

I was watching some show not too long ago & they said that there has only been 1 reported case of a person actually getting hit by a meteor. Not sure if that's just in the US or not.

I've seen pictures of home & car damage from meteors. There is a couple in the NE US, don't remember the State, that've had their house hit twice.

Assimilator1

Elite Member
Nov 4, 1999
Twice? man that's unlucky!:Q ,I wonder what the odds of that are?.
Of course that old man was even unluckier in a different way.

BlackMountainCow

Diamond Member
May 28, 2003
Now that's really bad: There was no news coverage at all about that incident on the German news! :( :|

Poor guy, though.

Philippart

Golden Member
Jul 9, 2006
oh my god!
That sounds crazy,

poor 77 year old man, he must have had an enormous shock

no news in Luxembourg either, maybe tomorrow.

The source of the news is Reuters/Yahoo!, so it is trusyworthy