Osama bin Laden: missed opportunities

Zipp

Apr 7, 2001
NBC News has obtained, exclusively, extraordinary secret video, shot by the U.S. government. It illustrates an enormous opportunity the Clinton administration had to kill or capture bin Laden. Critics call it a missed opportunity.

A Democratic member of the 9/11 commission says there was a larger issue: The Clinton administration treated bin Laden as a law enforcement problem.

NBC News contacted the three top Clinton national security officials. None would do an on-camera interview. However, they vigorously defend their record and say they disrupted terrorist cells and made al-Qaida a top national security priority.

Link

To bad ol' Bill didn't pull the trigger...They had a clear shot.

conjur

No Lifer
Jun 7, 2001
Ayup. Clinton definitely dropped the ball in tracking down bin Laden.

Bush could do better, too, and is finally throwing more resources into Afghanistan (but, then again, it *is* an election year.)

Bowfinger

Lifer
Nov 17, 2002
Before you get the Bush apologists too whipped up in a Clinton-bashing frenzy, remember tonight's story was the first of three on missed opportunities. I'll wager some of the stories to come will be Bush's bungling:
  • Wednesday: What more could the Bush administration have done to get bin Laden?

BTW, unpopular though it may be, I'm not so sure treating terrorism as a law enforcement problem is as unreasonable as many suggest. Treating it as a military problem carries its own set of issues and obstacles. I suspect the right answer is something in the middle, a hybrid of military and law enforcement.

Jadow

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2003
Clinton and his little troll Albright really dropped the ball here!

Orsorum

Lifer
Dec 26, 2001
Originally posted by: Jadow

Just like Bush and his little troll Rumsfeld dropped the ball in Iraq!

SuperTool

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
Originally posted by: Jadow

Of course Bush did things differently when he came into office
rolleye.gif

You rightwingers just don't give up.
Gary Schroen, a former CIA station chief in Pakistan, says the White House required the CIA to attempt to capture bin Laden alive, rather than kill him.
Makes sense to me. How would killing Bin Laden in fall 2000 prevent 9/11? The plan was already in motion, killing him without extracting information about the cell would have accomplished nothing.

sMiLeYz

Platinum Member
Feb 3, 2003
It's great how right wing love to talk about Clinton and his failures, but never really mention or totally ignore Bush failures.

arsbanned

Banned
Dec 12, 2003
Actually this story is basically false. Read the facts:
Here

Officials point out that once they saw whom they believed to be bin Laden in the video, it would have taken them three to seven hours before they could bomb the spot. Predators at that time were generally not armed.

Plus, they really don't even know if it was Bin Laden.

rolleye.gif