Origins of the word "Asshat"

Juice Box

Diamond Member
Nov 7, 2003
Did this word start here, cause I had never heard it before I came to these forums. All I know is that its a funny word, and should be used more often.

Asshat

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004
Originally posted by: Electric Amish
A person with their "Head up their ass" has an ass as a hat.

No it didn't start here.

Huh, I always read it as "Ass-Shat" as in "I shat out my ass." I will continue to pronouce it that way, as I find it to be more humorous sounding than ass-hat.

geecee

Platinum Member
Jan 14, 2003
Originally posted by: alexeikgb
UrbanDictionary
Boy, tough crowd over there. They called Scooby Doo an "animated asshat". That's just not right. Not Scooby. :p

EDIT: Ooops. I read it wrong. They called Scrappy the "animated asshat". I guess I can agree with that.

bunker

Lifer
Apr 23, 2001
Originally posted by: PingSpike
Originally posted by: Electric Amish
A person with their "Head up their ass" has an ass as a hat.

No it didn't start here.

Huh, I always read it as "Ass-Shat" as in "I shat out my ass." I will continue to pronouce it that way, as I find it to be more humorous sounding than ass-hat.

You're reading it wrong Ping. It's asshat, not assshat.

daniel1113

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2003
I'm not sure of the origins of "asshat," but I've been using it for well over 7 years. I'm sure it's been around a lot longer than that.

It's one of my favorite words to use, as it always seems to catch people off guard, as though I made it up. Of course, it really does have a proper meaning ;)

Dec 27, 2001
I first saw it used during the Keen invasion on DAOC. They'd sit on the head of their fallen enemies and shout it.

Traced it back to somewhere between Fark and SA. *shrug* Who knows?

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
I'm a big asshat proponent. It's nowhere near as tired as the standard insults.

MithShrike

Diamond Member
May 5, 2002
I called my sister an asshat the other day. Later I heard her talking on the phone and I quote, "Hey Kate? What's an asshat? My brother called me that the other day and I don't know what it means but it sure sounds mean." LMAO!