Original TonightShow Host Steve Allen Passes Away

Tripleshot

Elite Member
Jan 29, 2000
For some of us old timers who remember TV in the 50's,we wil miss him. He was the founding father of late nite talk TV. He could always make you smile,and his outlook on life was infectous.

Steve,Via Con Dios.

Harvey

Administrator<br>Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
DAMN! Another legend is gone. :(

He was also a good jazz musician and a successful songwriter. He wrote &quot;This Could Be The Start Of Something Big,&quot; &quot;Gravy Waltz&quot; and &quot;Impossible.&quot;

In 1955, he played Benny Goodman in The Benny Goodman Story, but his most frequent role was playing himself as a character in many films.

IronMike

Jun 24, 2000
A positively brilliant man of comedy, music and intelect.

Thank you sir, for sharing your gifts. If we meet on the other side forgive me for greeting you with: &quot;Hi Ho Steverino&quot;.

WombatWoman

Diamond Member
Feb 19, 2000
This is a great loss. Steve Allen was one of Hollywood's few true intellectuals, in addition to being a witty and compassionate man. Does anyone remember &quot;Meeting of the Minds&quot; on PBS? Brilliant stuff, and funny, too. That show made it quite obvious how much Steve loved Jayne Meadows, who got to play Queen Cleopatra (and every other female historical figure).

The only other early-TV personages to equal Steve Allen, IMHO, were Ernie Kovacs and Sid Caesar. We lost Ernie long ago, but I believe Sid is still with us. The Golden Age of live TV comedy is remembered fondly by most of us who are over 50, and Steve Allen was one of the chief goldminers of that Golden Age.

thebestMAX

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2000
Hi Ho Stevereno-

Grew up watching his original show, comedy and music.

Truely one of the great pioneers of TV.

Adios

PCAddict

Diamond Member
Nov 19, 1999
I've seen enough of his old clips to realize that he came up with most of the material that today's talk show hosts use. He did it all before Carson, Letterman, and Leno.