Original Titan or Titan black owners

Have you used your Titan's DP capability?

• I have never used its DP precision capability, it served me as a purely gaming card.

• I used its DP precision capability quite often as well as played games on it also quite often.

• I used it purely as a DP compute card with maybe very occasional gaming.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Lepton87

Platinum Member
Jul 28, 2009
NV and its fan justified its price because of it being more than a gaming card and that a lot of professional bought it. I'm wondering how many of Titan or Titan Black owners actually used its DP capability? For example I haven't. Now with the Titan X they have now qualms charging that much for a purely gaming card.

Last edited:

Gikaseixas

Platinum Member
Jul 1, 2004
Marketing used DP to justify the price then, now they'll use 12GB of memory to justify it now. In the end, the buyer has to be smart enough not to fall for these tricks. Features are important but ultimately performance is king and by saying there i rather wait for 980TI, save $300 bucks and enjoy higher performance a few months later.

Lepton87

Platinum Member
Jul 28, 2009
People forget about that wonder of a NV's 1000$ dollar dual card with just 2GB. It would be a fine card with 4 GB per GPU, how much additional 4GB of GDDR5 at that time would cost? 100$ at most? Ratcheting up the prices started much earlier by NV, as early as GTX280 which cost 650$ and was almost matched by 4870 at 300$. It was so embarrassing to NV that they immediately cut 150$ of their price but it clreatly shows when they wanted to increase prices to exorbitant level. AMD merely delayed to process and possibly ameliorated it some.

Magic Carpet

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2011
It would be interesting to perform tests, just to see how it's evolved driver-wise over the last couple of years versus Quadro.

Johan_V

Jan 11, 2011
I have used Titan DP for thermal modelling of polygonal models (periodic solar heating,thermal inertia, and thermal conduction into subsurface layer, solved for each facet using the finite difference method. You can solve temperature of each facet in parallel).

lavaheadache

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2005
I was going to vote but realized the poll didn't include me. I can't even find reviews comparing my card to the X. Titan Z gets treated like it doesn't even exist.

Magic Carpet

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2011
@lavaheadache

Maybe because it gets spanked by Zee pretty hard, especially in FP64 workloads?

Remember, according to Nvidia, Titan X is the ultimate, fastest, most-advanced graphics card on the planet :awe:

Last edited: