ORIGIN - Won't let me play my game - Exceeded Installs!

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
1. Comparisons between Steam (good guys! They don't do this!) and physical media or standalone downloads (bad guys! They put protection!) are not valid.

As I understand it, you *can't* copy games and pirate on Steam the way you can with the other products - it's inherent in running through their client.

So the need for protection is different between the two.

2. Software generally is only 'licensed for use', not 'purchased to own'.

EULA's often do go too far - 'this software is not warranted to not crawl out of your computer and eat your cake in the refrigerator' - but the basics are legitimate.

People should have some sympathy for the need to fight piracy.

Maximilian

Lifer
Feb 8, 2004
Why do some people on forums accept these idiotic limitations?
Games companies continue to do things that constantly annoy the consumer, and yet there's always people ready to ridicule any complaints made.

It seems like some people either work in the industry or are in awe of the might of the corporations and have lost the backbone to stand up to them.

They are either:

A - Not true gamers, just here to troll and cause a stir, maybe they meant to click on politics & news and accidentally hit PC gaming, i don't know...

or

B - Marketing shills paid to defend the product, or they work for a company involved with it so they feel the need to defend what their crappy company does

It really is pathetic some people think that giving the paying customer an inferior product is a good thing. Pirated - no limited activations, Purchased copy - limited.

skace

Lifer
Jan 23, 2001
My only issue with the argument is the whole "You should have just uninstalled it when you rebuilt your machine and you wouldn't be in this mess". In my opinion, that isn't what I would call a fair and reasonable request. I have over 400 games and 100 apps on my computer, if I uninstalled every single one of those before refreshing my machine, it would probably take over a month to reformat.

After reformatting, it usually takes me several months to a year to get back to that point, since I only install things as I need them.