ORIGIN - Won't let me play my game - Exceeded Installs!

jacktesterson

Diamond Member
Sep 28, 2001
I own only 2 games on Origin... Need for Speed Hot Pursuit and Crysis Warhead.

I've never beat Need for Speed. I'll admit I've installed it quite a few times but never got around to playing it.

I wanted to play this though and boom.... "You have exceeded allowed amount of installs" or some crazy junk like that.

I paid like $50 for it when it first came out.... AND I CANT PLAY IT?

ORIGIN IS GETTING AN EMAIL.

Last edited:

SunnyD

Belgian Waffler
Jan 2, 2001
www.neftastic.com
And yet no one bitches to Microsoft when their Windows key fails due to too many activations... :hmm:

Oh wait!

Can we find something reasonable to bitch about for once? This has been the norm in the industry for YEARS now.

Rifter

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
This is exactly why i'll stick to steam and refuse to use other electronic distribution systems.

jacktesterson

Diamond Member
Sep 28, 2001
And yet no one bitches to Microsoft when their Windows key fails due to too many activations... :hmm:

Oh wait!

Can we find something reasonable to bitch about for once? This has been the norm in the industry for YEARS now.

I can't believe your being all smart all about this and stating its the norm. I paid a lot of money for a game I've never copied, pirated, etc and never finished, and I can't use it because I've rebuilt/reloaded my PC about 8 times in the past year? (An addiction I'll admit) Go away.

I only use Steam. I own around 100 games on steam and have never had this issue.

Last edited:

SunnyD

Belgian Waffler
Jan 2, 2001
www.neftastic.com
Since when? I can't believe your being all smart all about this and stating its the norm. I paid a lot of money for a game I've never copied, pirated, etc and never finished, and I can't use it because I've rebuilt/reloaded my PC about 8 times in the past year? (An addiction I'll admit) Go away.

I only use Steam. I own around 100 games on steam and have never had this issue.

Go do a search for "Activation limit" and look over the last few YEARS of posts. You'll see it's a rather popular topic.

Now, here's a question for you - when you "rebuilt/reloaded" your PC, did you bother UNINSTALLING the applications in question? Or did you just wipe/reload thereby likely bypassing and DEACTIVATION method the titles may have had in order to free up the activation count?

And apparently you DON'T only use steam, lest you wouldn't have this issue.

Seriously, chiding me on a topic that has been bandied to death over the years is pretty childish. Your ignorance isn't a reason to belittle others, particularly ones that have the correct answer. Stop trying to make yourself look like a subject matter expert when you clearly aren't. If you were, you wouldn't have posted this in the first place.

Ancalagon44

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2010
Go do a search for "Activation limit" and look over the last few YEARS of posts. You'll see it's a rather popular topic.

Now, here's a question for you - when you "rebuilt/reloaded" your PC, did you bother UNINSTALLING the applications in question? Or did you just wipe/reload thereby likely bypassing and DEACTIVATION method the titles may have had in order to free up the activation count?

Seriously, chiding me on a topic that has been bandied to death over the years is pretty childish. Your ignorance isn't a reason to belittle others, particularly ones that have the correct answer. Stop trying to make yourself look like a subject matter expert when you clearly aren't. If you were, you wouldn't have posted this in the first place.

No he is right and you are wrong. Activation limits only apply if your hardware changes - I can install my Win7 OEM as many times as I like provides its on the same hardware - ie same computer. If its a new computer, I either need MS's approval, or a non OEM license that allows for transfers, or a new OEM license. Its clear and fair.

And why should he need to deregister those installs? What if his hard drive crashed? then what?

Steam doesnt have any installation limits. They are stupid limits to have. End of story. Origin sucks, Steam is better.

Anteaus

Platinum Member
Oct 28, 2010
I can't believe your being all smart all about this and stating its the norm. I paid a lot of money for a game I've never copied, pirated, etc and never finished, and I can't use it because I've rebuilt/reloaded my PC about 8 times in the past year? (An addiction I'll admit) Go away.

I think people are being smart because instead of just sending an email to EA and seeing if they would fix it first, you came here. While I do agree with you about the install limits, it's no secret that Origin (EA) are extremists when it comes to DRM. Personally, I would have checked with them first and if they refused to reset your limit then come here. More often than not those limits are arbitrary as a sign that an account was hacked or that the user is sharing the account with other people. 95% of users will probably never see that limit because those installs are spread out over a larger span of time or they automatically reset over time.

jacktesterson

Diamond Member
Sep 28, 2001
I think people are being smart because instead of just sending an email to EA and seeing if they would fix it first, you came here. While I do agree with you about the install limits, it's no secret that Origin (EA) are extremists when it comes to DRM. Personally, I would have checked with them first and if they refused to reset your limit then come here. More often than not those limits are arbitrary as a sign that an account was hacked or that the user is sharing the account with other people. 95% of users will probably never see that limit because those installs are spread out over a larger span of time or they automatically reset over time.

I've been on these forums a long time, off and on, mostly lurking.

I was just frustrated and posted about it.

It wasn't intended to Get a lesson on DRM. I know about DRM, I just didn't know about EA's rules since I barely use it.

I looking for a way to call or email them since there "Call back" feature is only good in USA. Just started searching the site.

Specop 007

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2005

I would say the childish one is the poster who has to come into a thread and act like a shithead.

But what do I know. I guess theres some bylaw or something that says SunnyD is required to post in every thread or his account gets locked, and you are probably tired of threads like this. Makes sense to me.....

jacktesterson

Diamond Member
Sep 28, 2001
Sorry SunnyD

I was just mad about the rule. Not trying to insult you. that was not my intention. I just vented here and you got caught in it.

I'm on the phone with Origin now.

jacktesterson

Diamond Member
Sep 28, 2001
They resolved the issue.

The Rep wasn't even aware of the limitation. Said "That's weird" and had to go check on it once I gave him my details.

SunnyD

Belgian Waffler
Jan 2, 2001
www.neftastic.com
I would say the childish one is the poster who has to come into a thread and act like a shithead.

But what do I know. I guess theres some bylaw or something that says SunnyD is required to post in every thread or his account gets locked, and you are probably tired of threads like this. Makes sense to me.....

Aww, I ruffled an innocent bystander's panties too? I love it, must be Piss On SunnyD day or something today.

Sorry SunnyD

I was just mad about the rule. Not trying to insult you. that was not my intention. I just vented here and you got caught in it.

It's fine, I've got a thick skin. This isn't the first time this was talking about, and that's what I'm pointing out. Well, it may be the first time it has been talked about regarding Origin, I'll give you that much.

Hopefully EA will get you all straightened up. If they refuse to, however, I'll more than happily join you in that thread pointing my evil scowl at EA for yet another customer relations blunder.

As an aside:
To the rest of the asshats that are jumping on my case about it, for the record there HAVE been titles published on steam that did indeed have activation limits and far worse - mostly because steam does not prevent the use of 3rd party DRM in addition to its own. Steam isn't the holy grail of freedom as you all see it. It's just the best alternative available right now.

sep

Platinum Member
Aug 1, 2001
They resolved the issue.

The Rep wasn't even aware of the limitation. Said "That's weird" and had to go check on it once I gave him my details.

That's good news. Thanks for the update.

I have two games with Origin and have an issue with BC2. I've reinstalled it three times and it fails. I didnt' know about the ban. Thanks for sharing.

jacktesterson

Diamond Member
Sep 28, 2001
That's good news. Thanks for the update.

I have two games with Origin and have an issue with BC2. I've reinstalled it three times and it fails. I didnt' know about the ban. Thanks for sharing.

I'm not sure how many Installations/time limit it is.

I'm going to say I've had it installed at least 6 times this past year...without uninstalling, just wiping my drive clean.

It's been mostly due to Turnover of PC Parts. I've built and used 3-4 Higher end gaming Rigs this past year for a couple months, then sold them on ebay, Mostly for fun.

I'm currently playing around with the A8 system which I'll probably keep for a while. I'm testing the capability of the APU in games at 720p TV gaming.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Sorry SunnyD

i'll have to call also.

i reached my activation limit with Crysis 2. Every time i switched out a piece of HW, it needed to be re-activated. 50 activations comes quickly for a hardware reviewer.
:(

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
I hate installation limits. I think its bullshit but i do understand why they have them.

The op is right to be pissed. its bullshit but should be able to fix it no problem.

Specop 007

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2005
Aww, I ruffled an innocent bystander's panties too? I love it, must be Piss On SunnyD day or something today.

It's fine, I've got a thick skin. This isn't the first time this was talking about, and that's what I'm pointing out. Well, it may be the first time it has been talked about regarding Origin, I'll give you that much.

Hopefully EA will get you all straightened up. If they refuse to, however, I'll more than happily join you in that thread pointing my evil scowl at EA for yet another customer relations blunder.

As an aside:
To the rest of the asshats that are jumping on my case about it, for the record there HAVE been titles published on steam that did indeed have activation limits and far worse - mostly because steam does not prevent the use of 3rd party DRM in addition to its own. Steam isn't the holy grail of freedom as you all see it. It's just the best alternative available right now.

Ruffle my feathers? Nope, not at all. I would simply expect the asshattery normally associated with OT would stay in OT in the other sections thats all.

To act otherwise is definitely telling about you though.

SunnyD

Belgian Waffler
Jan 2, 2001
www.neftastic.com
Ruffle my feathers? Nope, not at all. I would simply expect the asshattery normally associated with OT would stay in OT in the other sections thats all.

To act otherwise is definitely telling about you though.

Dude, who pissed in your wheaties this morning?

They resolved the issue.

Good to hear they helped you out. I guess I've been pretty lucky, I think I've only had to reinstall maybe 2 or 3 times the Origin titles I have. That's between the two machines I have them on (kids play on one, I occasionally play on another).

LumbergTech

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2005

Oh wait!

people tend to install programs a lot more than they do operating systems

and secondly......whenever I have a problem with a windows key I just call and and automated service gives me a new key...never had a problem with that..they have streamlined it heavily so it is not much of an inconvenience

AyashiKaibutsu

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2004
people tend to install programs a lot more than they do operating systems

and secondly......whenever I have a problem with a windows key I just call and and automated service gives me a new key...never had a problem with that..they have streamlined it heavily so it is not much of an inconvenience

This.

Ops first mistake was buying something made by EA.

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
This.

Ops first mistake was buying something made by EA.

OP talked to a rep and they fixed it no muss no fuss.

The EA suits may be a bunch of weaselly puffins but I don't think we can add this to their wall of shame, especially since it took 6+ installs with no uninstalls to trigger the need to talk to a human.

digitaldurandal

Golden Member
Dec 3, 2009
I had the same issue with my copy of windows xp pro. Eventually I called so many times that they removed my limit. I was very tempted to pirate windows afterwards simply because I update my hardware often and like a fresh install without having to talk to someone on the phone that quizzes me to see why I am reinstalling so much.

Just because something is the norm in an industry doesn't mean that consumers have to be happy about it. While I understand the limitation is supposed to help prevent piracy it is redundant now that the games are attached to your Origin account. It is a completely unnecessary hoop for the consumer to jump through. I bought BF3 and regret supporting them because Origin and their business practices are so bad. I will not buy another game from EA unless it does not have Origin. This kind of decision is the only way that the business will listen.

I also did not purchase Activisions' MW3 and had a good laugh at all the people trying to play with all the sensitivity issues and graphical bugs. Unfortunately it had record sales anyway and no one learned from their blatant disregard for support of MW2 and to some extend BLOPS on the PC.

microAmp

Diamond Member
Jul 5, 2000
Why do people think games on Steam don't have activation limits? A few of them do, Crysis Warhead was one of them, albeit Securom style; it has if not mistaken, been patched to remove the limit too.
http://store.steampowered.com/app/17330/
Look below the Metascore on right hand side.

SunnyD is right, been like this for a few years, since Spore came out I believe; they were the first if I'm not mistaken.