Origin to offer full game refunds

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

KaOTiK

Lifer
Feb 5, 2001
I didn't know that. I have never seen that option. I've been annoying by popups for years.

Under settings>interface> last check box "Notify me about additions or changes to my games, new releases, and upcoming releases"

It has never been hidden lol

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005
Under settings>interface> last check box "Notify me about additions or changes to my games, new releases, and upcoming releases"

It has never been hidden lol

Yeah, I've always known about it and I leave it enabled. It's helped remind me of sales several times.

KaOTiK

Lifer
Feb 5, 2001
Yeah, I've always known about it and I leave it enabled. It's helped remind me of sales several times.

Same, I've found it useful for when new preorders got put up that I didn't see in the news section yet. Same with new DLC for a games.
It is actually the only service I use that I actually have ads enabled on just because they are non intrusive and directly about what I am there for.

BladeVenom

Lifer
Jun 2, 2005
However that does potentially open the door for people to snoop through the files and find the flag or timestamp or registry or whatever is used to mark a game as 'played'/launched.

Anyone who bothers doing that, could just as easily download a cracked copy. So I don't think it's going to be a major problem.

DefDC

Golden Member
Aug 28, 2003
24 hours is a good timeframe. It will give people time to work out problems if a game does not run. It also puts the pressure for EA to fix problems within 24 hours.

I like it!

darkewaffle

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2005
Sales? On Origin? I don't ever recall seeing any sales on Origin worth mentioning.

There definitely have been, they just don't get the publicity Steam's gets and they tend to be more 'focused' than broad. I picked up one of the BF3 shortcut packs for like 75% off or something; basically I got access to the co-op weapons for $1 or something instead of playing hours worth of co-op missions. Good deal to me.

BrightCandle

Diamond Member
Mar 15, 2007
I don't think EA is doing this out of the goodness of their own heart. Law is being drawn up all over Europe to classify digital goods such as games, movies and music as products not services as these companies claim. That will mean an extension of the current selling regulations to digital goods and consumer protection where none exists. EA is trying to put its version of this forward before the law is fully drafted. Its most likely they have been meeting with governments and trying to make this much cut down version of rights what they actually pass as law and not the usual distance selling regulations which are 5 days from sale and for any reason.

I welcome more rights and I think a lot more has to be done in this area but I question EA's motives for doing this right now and in this way.

Dankk

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2008
I don't think EA is doing this out of the goodness of their own heart.

Of course they're not. EA is a business, and like any other business, they need to drum up positive public relations with customers in order to increase sales and make more money. Very few companies do things "out of the goodness of their own hearts". It's all about turning a profit.

Valve isn't exactly a bastion of altruism and good-will either. They don't do things to be nice. They do things to make money.

Last edited:

ShadowOfMyself

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2006
24 hours is definitely too long... Anyone can just wait until the weekend or whenever they have a free day, buy the game, enter no life mode for the next 10 or whatever hours it takes to beat the game (and most single player games nowadays dont even last that long) and return it

Then again the big money makers are multiplayer games so it wont be that big of a deal

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
Just make sure that the 1st time you open the game you willl have time. you have a week from the moment you buy it, that means that you will have a weekend to chose the moment you want the 24hs to start counting

i also feel that 24hs is a bit too much. but i guess they rather be generous and let some people cheat the system than having everyone else pissed of

i guess that if they make only 1 refund possible per purchase and you spend 50 bucks... buy a game, play it from start to end in less than 24hs, refund it to another one and keep that one ... it would be as if you "bought" 2 games at 50% each, but in the end EA got $50 bucks anyway

if they let you keep refunding ever and ever your $50 i dont see it as a very bright idea
It's not all generosity, it's also smart business. If one has, say, six hours and it takes two or three to get the game running well, and/or one gets interrupted, and the game does not immediately enrapture, then the pressure to return the game without giving it a fair chance is high. Assuming one first activates the game with several hours available time, 24 hours is plenty to decide if it is worth keeping. And evidently EA has decided the extra business is worth the inevitable punch bowl floaters who take advantage of EA to get free games.

Classy and bold move for EA.