Organizing your documents / files, Yep equivalent for PC?

deltaforce

Sep 1, 2012
Hello folks,

Since I moved to PC environment 3 years ago, I sorely miss mac application Yep.

The way this app works is, you drag and drop your documents / files and tag them from the tag cloud you create over the period of time. If you want to search for the file, you just search by the tag and look for the file of interest.

I wonder if there is any PC equivalent to this application.

In other way, I can create different folders for every task but that will lead to really a ton of folders. Instead of that, I find this system rather easier.

Thanks in advance.

P.S. - I tried LunarFrog. It is very similar concept but there are a lot of glitches searching the file of your interest once you put it in that database.
I tried tabbles as well but I did not like it at all.

Last edited:

Savatar

Apr 21, 2009
They talked about implementing something like this natively for WinFS, where you could basically tag and perform SQL queries for your files on the HDD, but from what I understand that was dropped for reasons unknown to me (someone please correct me if I'm wrong).

You may want to check out TaggedFrog (http://lunarfrog.com/taggedfrog/) or Tabbles (http://tabbles.net/) as they both allow that.

deltaforce

Sep 1, 2012
Thanks for your reply.

As I mentioned in the P.S., I tried both of them but the implementation was rather poor and I did not find it that useful. (Actually, it was more headache when it was time to search for the file. Everything from VoidTools does a better job for searching but does not allow tagging.)

bononos

Diamond Member
Aug 21, 2011
Have you already looked through alternativeto?
There doesn't seem to be any windows freeware for this sort of utility except for one or 2 for pdf's only.

Mushkins

Golden Member
Feb 11, 2013
I dont think you're gonna find much here TBH. I've been hoping for something along these lines myself, and the bottom line is that you'd have to have an app that considerably altered Windows Explorer to support this kind of tagging, or ran a bulky document management database. There may be some corporate-level document management solutions that support tagging these days, but they're going to be way overkill for what you want.

I'm pretty sure Yep works by taking advantage of the notes section in the file properties of OSX, essentially writing the user created tags to the files notes which are then indexed by Spotlight. Windows files do not have a similar user-editable notes field, so you can't use the same workaround to create that functionality, and a document management system with this feature would essentially force you to forsake Windows Explorer entirely, the files are either in the DMS or in "standard" windows.

It's just not practical.