Organizing your computer software, games, data backups, cd cases etc.

Glavinsolo

Platinum Member
Sep 2, 2004
So....

My wife and I just got married and moved into a new place. Unpacking the office we came to the realization that all our software, games, data backups, cases, manuals etc are very unorganized.
We have PC games in boxes, manuals, cd cases. I have lots of free microsoft cds that I got at conferences that are all shapes and forms. We have several cd binders of all sizes. I have empty cd jewel cases etc.

The point...

How are you guys organizing all this random floating crap? Pictures welcome.

zig3695

Golden Member
Feb 15, 2007
id post pictures but you depicted just about exactly what my pictures would look like as well.

meltdown75

Lifer
Nov 17, 2004
i chucked everything out except the actual CDs from most of my collection and put them in a binder. the only jewel cases i hang on to are the slim ones, and they are dwindling because every time i burn someone a CD, i give it to them in a slim jewel case. i need to buy a bunch of sleeves for that. anyhoo... CD binder and throw out / recycle everything else FTW IMHO FWIW

Eeezee

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2005
First, go through the software and make sure you want it all. Got a copy of Windows 2000 Pro that you don't want anymore? Get rid of it.

Operating systems + useful software (office, etc.) can go in one binder, games in another (assuming you have a lot more games than anything else, of course).
Alphabetize them only if you have more than a dozen discs of either category. Keep CD keys with the prodcuts (cut them out from the boxes if necessary). You don't need those big software boxes when a binder can save a lot of space.

Jewel cases are the other way to go, but I really prefer the binder option.

Injury

Lifer
Jul 19, 2004
Custom built shelves.

http://www.renegadeonline.net/forumcrap/IMG_0217.jpg

That's a picture of an old one but has since been replaced with a few slightly shorter ones to accommodate the slanted ceilings in my new place. Retail shelves suck because it's nearly impossible to maximize the space they aren't tailored to the area you have available and the media being stored on them. I could stand to give my shelves a nice coat of black paint, but I'm a bit too lazy to do so.

I put everything in Jewel cases and print inserts for them. The only things I DON'T have in cases are old cartridge-style video games. I just can't find cases for them... I'd need at least 150 various types for all the NES/SNES/N64/GB games I have.

Here's a top notch site for getting printable jewel case covers for video games and SOME computer games/software: http://www.thecoverproject.net/

I can give you guys a sketchup diagram of my shelves if you want. It's quite simple, but maybe you guys can't offer some advice for improvement.

pcslookout

Lifer
Mar 18, 2007
Sell, give away, or throw everything away that you do not need or want anymore. Organize all your paper in trays or a binder. If you really want to you could scan everything and put it on a cd though some stuff you can't do this with. Try not to fall behind so you never have a huge job ahead of you. Looking at a piece of paper or item and deciding what to do with it once you get it or decide you don't need it anymore helps a lot.