Organic food is no healthier, study finds

Page 11 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

cliftonite

Diamond Member
Jul 15, 2001
Originally posted by: zerocool84
Originally posted by: Polish3d
It's like me telling you I feel better after working out, and you telling me that I do not. There really isn't going to be any convincing me on this; I feel far better eating this way and I did not expect it to happen.

Of course you're going to think that. You have to justify the large amount of money you spend on eating organic. Also comparing eating organic which has no benefit to working out is stupid seeing as there is actually a benefit to working out. It's your brain letting you think it tastes better but you are free to spend your money on what you like.

If he can afford to eat organic then who cares?

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
Originally posted by: cliftonite
It's like me telling you I feel better after working out, and you telling me that I do not. There really isn't going to be any convincing me on this; I feel far better eating this way and I did not expect it to happen.

Of course you're going to think that. You have to justify the large amount of money you spend on eating organic. Also comparing eating organic which has no benefit to working out is stupid seeing as there is actually a benefit to working out. It's your brain letting you think it tastes better but you are free to spend your money on what you like.

I'm just trying to inform him that there's no reason for him to waste his money. Organic food is snake oil but of course he's free to spend his money as he sees fit.

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com

It's sort of like trying to help people understand why Monster cables are a huge rip-off.

Capt Caveman

Lifer
Jan 30, 2005
Originally posted by: DrPizza

It's sort of like trying to help people understand why Monster cables are a huge rip-off.

without the pesticides.

Aztech

Golden Member
Jan 19, 2002
Originally posted by: lxskllr

More bullshit. There is no incentive for corporate farms to abuse their animals. In fact, abusing animals hurts their bottom line. The happier and more comfortable the animals are, the better they put on weight. That equals greater profits. Furthermore, there are idiots proposing laws that are actually detrimental to animal health, simply because these idiots "think" that what they are proposing is correct. Unfortunately, their proposals are often not based on fact, just based on incorrect gut instinct. Likewise, a lot of people trust their gut instincts in deciding what constitutes abuse and what doesn't.

Bullshit. You tell me these animals are happy...

http://images.google.com/image...&gbv=2&aq=f&oq=&aqi=g3

OMFG! The HORROR! OMG LOOK AT ALL THE CHICKENS ON THE FACTORY FARM!
here
They must really be unhappy! Ohhhhh, the humanity! How can anyone with any common sense think that the chickens could possibly be comfortable clustered together like that!

Oh wait a second:
You don't know Jack shit

I'll just use the factory farmed chickens as the example I refute, as it's one that's oftentimes referred to. However, I'll reiterate: fvcktards with zero experience in caring for domesticated animals think they know everything and don't believe that a lot of money and research goes into determining the best practices.

Oh, and if there are any other dimwits out there, cattle are herd animals. herd
Herd animals are comfortable in close proximity to each other. Just this afternoon, one of my goats (a herd animal) managed to get over the fence & was separated from the rest of the goats who decided to go inside - 30 goats in a 14' by 20' are - they prefer it that way. That poor goat completely freaked out. You could here her bleating a mile away. When I put her in the barn, she had 100 bales of hay to herself, and access to plenty of water. You think she wanted all that hay and space? Hell no. She wanted to get back into the large stall with everyone else. If I leave their stall door open, it doubles their available space. You think they spread out? No way. (Of course, they do come out into the aisle and make a freaking mess out of all the bales of hay.) But, once they've had their fill of hay, they still congregate in the same area as each other.

Woah, woah woah! No incentive to abuse their animals? I call BS. They pack 'em just about on top of each other and fatten them up as quickly as possible so they can slaughter them. Efficiencies of scale. The animals are living in unspeakable conditions.

As to the pictures posted, that's a ridiculous comparison. Yes, animals gather naturally. But that's not the same as limited movement 24/7 in crap conditions. People gather too. I could show pictures of a huge outdoor concert or something with people next to each other. Does that mean you wouldn't mind being caged with limited movement for your whole life? Give me a break!

The other consequence of the CAFOs (Concentrated Animal Feeding Operations is that they have to use lots of antibiotics on the animals for prevention of diseases under their conditions. That many animals, and they're all shitting damn near on top of each other, all day, week, month long!

For more information, read Time magazine's cover article "The Real Cost of Cheap Food", August 31, 2009.

KingGheedora

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2006
Originally posted by: Nightfall
Here is a story on organic vrs regular eggs. Complete with blind taste test results.

It doesn't really piss me off or anything, but I don't get why they don't just link to the main thing. Is there actually a reason behind linking to digg instead of original content?

KingGheedora

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2006
Originally posted by: Deeko
Originally posted by: Crono
No, the key is avoidable risk, plus any other benefits of eating organic.
The truth is that we don't know the exact dosage for many chemicals over long term that would significantly increase the likelihood of developing cancer or other disorders. Why not consume organic versus non0organic, provided the organic food is affordable for your budget, and since man organic foods taste better, anyway?

Affordable for your budget or not, its still more expensive. Conversely - why waste your money if you can't take the taste difference and there are no known risks?

Can you really not taste the difference? I have heard otherwise but never verified it myself.

I would rather eat organic veggies, that humans and other animals have been eating for hundreds of thousands of years. These veggies, fruits and meats are okay by me since my body has evolved to eat them. The fact that we are here proves the viability of these foods. When man has started to alter the foods by adding chemicals, or growing animals fed on all corn diets and injected with antibiotics and hormones, something is added that I don't necessarily trust, even though there might not be studies yet that prove these things are bad.

I'd rather stick to what evolution has proven to be the good thing. Man doesn't have the greatest track record when it comes to knowing the consequences of using new chemicals in food production or processing. How many times have substances been introduced into our food production only to later find out they cause cancer or are in some other way bad for us? Why would you assume that this kind of thing won't happen over and over? Do you think we are catching everything? I don't. So one of the reasons for going organic is to avoid this risk. As history has shown, just because there are no known consequences doesn't mean they don't exist.

So I don't think it's irrational to prefer organic. It sure is inconvenient. So i don't go out of my way to eat organic. I don't actually care if a few years are shaved off my life. I won't be around to notice that i've died earlier than if I'd eaten all natural. I sometimes care about being as healthy as possible though, because being healthy rocks and being able to perform in athletics rocks.

El Guaraguao

Diamond Member
May 7, 2008
Originally posted by: KingGheedora
Originally posted by: Nightfall
Here is a story on organic vrs regular eggs. Complete with blind taste test results.

It doesn't really piss me off or anything, but I don't get why they don't just link to the main thing. Is there actually a reason behind linking to digg instead of original content?

I have to agree with those blind taste test. Ive been eating eggs straight from the chickens ass (joke) for the past couple months and wont ever go back to store bought eggs. At one point the chickens that I was getting the eggs from, weren't producing any. So I went ahead and bought some eggs from the store. Lets just say, theres still 10 store bought eggs still sitting in my refridgerator. Once you go fresh, not "organic", you wont ever go back.

Davegod75

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2000
Originally posted by: SunnyD
Originally posted by: mb
Originally posted by: mb
Originally posted by: Crusty
So they compared it only on nutritional value? What about taste or other chemicals found?

That's what I'm wondering. No one I know buys organic food for increased nutritional value, but for better taste and no pesticides.

They taste the same and you should always rinse fruit/veggies before eating anyway.

No, organic varieties taste better (not always, of course), and rinsing doesn't remove all the chemicals.

I sure as hell can't taste the difference. Not worth the 100 to 300% mark up. And I doubt there's enough chemicals to worry about.

This has been disproven time and again. You're shopping at the wrong stores.

And while there may not be enough chemicals in a single serving, add that up over the course of a few years of meals. Yeah - some chemicals you ingest your body accumulates.

what you said