Chortling, "There goes Lee again"
'Twill be my happiest destiny
To die and live eternally

- In Dead Earnest, Lee Hays, 1981, shortly before he died

brianmanahan

Lifer
Sep 2, 2006
whatever you do, make sure people write RIP somewhere

if your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it you are automatically drafted into the skeleton war

Reactions: zinfamous

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
Luke Perry was buried in an infiniti mushroom suit wasn't he?

This pod seems better than classic embalming and burial, something that's never sat right with me honestly. Your remains being able to be desecrated, or lost in a flood like what happened down south couple years ago after massive flooding, and there is the growing size of cemetaries and the upkeep they require. This looks to be a better way. Spend your life eating flora and fauna of this planet, give yourself back to nature when your journey is done. Seems more equitable to me.

You could grow a tree that provides your great grandchildren with shade and something to play on. The thought isn't as weird the more I think about it.

Reactions: Captante

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
Yeah....I don't want to have dogs whizzing on my trunk for 50 years until someone chops me down to make an actual coffin for someone else.
cycle of life.

reminds me of that childrens book where the boy chops down his tree friend and the tree said it's ok to use his stump to sit on when he's tired :eek:

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
cycle of life.

reminds me of that childrens book where the boy chops down his tree friend and the tree said it's ok to use his stump to sit on when he's tired :eek:
The Giving Tree. I hated that book; the dude was a jackass.

nutxo

Diamond Member
May 20, 2001
That's kinda cool. I wanna be buried in a pine box with no embalming. I think embalming and cremation are the ultimate fuck you to the earth. You suck up all these resources for years and then make sure that you are worth nothing or toxic is just fucking stupid.

Reactions: Scarpozzi

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
That's kinda cool. I wanna be buried in a pine box with no embalming. I think embalming and cremation are the ultimate fuck you to the earth. You suck up all these resources for years and then make sure that you are worth nothing or toxic is just fucking stupid.
I'm with you. Living people get too sentimental and think preservation is the way to go. I'd rather go closed casket...but pine? That wood is junk. They shouldn't even build houses out of it. Give me a recycled oak whiskey barrel box...

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
I plan on getting shot into space (multiple services available!), but this looks pretty good too!

Although that picture reminds me of those robot power pods for humans from the Matrix lol

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I will definitely be buried in the most eco friendly way possible. No need to spend thousands on a casket a embalming chemicals that just seep into the ground. Funeral industry is a scam.

so, fed to the gators, is it?

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
I'm with you. Living people get too sentimental and think preservation is the way to go. I'd rather go closed casket...but pine? That wood is junk. They shouldn't even build houses out of it. Give me a recycled oak whiskey barrel box...

When the idea is to allow decomposition to proceed unhindered, you don't use good wood. The casket is temporary. Save the oak for furniture. I helped redo some floors in a couple rooms once, used great big wide cuts from big grandfather pines that had to be taken down. Stained/oiled, then heavily waxed. Turned out pretty good.

For a structural material yeah pine and most softwoods/evergreens are not a good choice. Hemlock being the exception I guess. Used wet hemlock for 12x12 center posts in my old post and beam barn. They dry in place and harden like rock, worked great.

BudAshes

Lifer
Jul 20, 2003
I'd like my body to be loaded up with fireworks, fired out over the ocean by trebuchet and exploded in mid flight.