• Guest, The rules for the P & N subforum have been updated to prohibit "ad hominem" or personal attacks against other posters. See the full details in the post "Politics and News Rules & Guidelines."

Ordering Lenovo laptop online question... refuse shipment, order different?

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
TL;DR = Yes.

On Nov. 6, I ordered Lenovo laptop online. If I'd paid ~$100 more I would have gotten something like next day shipment, but I opted for waiting a few weeks for the savings. Got some emails from them and the last was about shipment. It's due to arrive in 3 days, Tuesday, Dec. 1 via UPS, "signature required." It's for personal use and is to be delivered to my house.

Today, I get an email from Lenovo (I have an account, several other Thinkpads), and it's talking about extended Black Friday specials. I bite to see if they have a deal on what I bought, maybe cheaper. I find they have a price matching policy and if it sells for less there I'd get a price adjustment.

I poke around and see that they are selling what is a very similar machine to mine for ~$300 less! It actually has Windows 10 Pro 64 whereas my order had only Windows 64 bit Home. What's more, my order was for a machine with a couple of features the other doesn't have, according to the specs I see. But I don't need those features, they are of no use for me (OPAL on the 256GB M.2 and prov for the wifi).

So, I'm wondering if I can just order the cheaper version online and refuse shipment when the other one comes on Dec. 1, Tuesday.

I called Lenovo, I'm in their cue, in "Priority Sequence." I was dropped off after 10 minutes and had to call back. So, I'm on a 2nd time and it's been 30 minutes now, listening to their ridiculous 15 second loop, about 120 times now!

What do you think, can/should I just order the cheaper one now online and figure I can return (refuse the package) of the other one?

Last edited:

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
After 45 minutes on 2nd try, CSR answers and I explain. This was less than 5 minutes after I just went ahead and ordered the cheaper machine. He said don't refuse shipment. Instead, email him after I receive it and he'll set up the return with prepaid UPS shipping label. That way I'll get my refund in an orderly manner. If I refuse the package, he said it would be messy and take longer, not an orderly process.

ASK THE COMMUNITY