Ordered an R9 290

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Bradtech519

Jul 6, 2010
SETI@home looks to take advantage of the R9 290/Hawaii GPUs with no need to find work arounds. One task will use an entire GPU & I'm running 7 universe@home workunits on my CPU keeping one core open for the GPU. The #1 AMD/ATI GPU are the Hawaii cards if you look at top GPU models for SETI.

Sunny129

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2000
There is an issue with 290 and 290x with Boinc. I can't it to work on Milkyway because it is being detected incorrectly
even if BOINC detected the R9 290 correctly, its double precision performance is dismal compared to its less expensive sibling, the R9 280X (which is just a 7970 repackaged and relabeled w/ a new name and slightly higher clocks). and while the 280X/7970 is no longer the double precision performance king, its still king in the "DP performance per watt" and "DP performance per $" categories.

Looks like Einstein@home is welcoming the R9 290 with open arms. It grabbed four tasks. Perseus Arm survey & Arceibo. Each Arecibo is estimating 1 hour 34 minutes, and the Perseus is around 2hr 33min per BOINC. I haven't added an aftermarket cooler yet. I used AMD overdrive to enable fan manual control. Spun it up to 100% and let the tasks run at 100% load. It is averaging around 60-65c. Think I will let it run for another hour before heading to bed. These are pretty much repackaged 7970s correct? So far the "Twin Frozr" is doing well. I have a 240 GB SSD for OS/Games & 1 TB HDD coming tomorrow. Plan on installing BOINC on the HDD. Poor old WD Black 750 GB in there now is going on 6-7 years.
no, the 280X is the renamed and repackaged 7970...the 290 has better single precision performance, but substantially worse double precision performance than the 280X/7970...so the 290 is better than the 280X/7970 for Einstein@Home.

Thanks I've emulated your settings & started LHC@HOME back up around 12 PM CST. I had about 12 hours of nothing but einstein running. Seems like my average credits are still stuck at 0.09. Guess they have a delayed validation process on rewarding credit.
actually E@H recently had a major server hiccup for the first time in years just a few days ago. to make the process of replacing the server and backing up/restoring terabytes worth of data, the downloading of new work was disabled for a short time to allow the uploading of completed work from remote hosts to catch back up. the massive backlog of uploads has finally finished uploading, and the project admins just have a few minor things to work out before they get the validators back up and running...so that's why your completed and uploaded work has yet to be validated...expect that to happen in the next 24-48 hrs or so...once the validators are re-enabled and caught back up, completed work should validate much sooner after your having uploaded and reported it.