Orcas have sunk 3 boats in Europe and appear to be teaching others to do the same. But why?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

RPD

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2009
Maybe Japan had insider info all along.
8bvzw2v3ssd01.jpg

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
I can't find the link to the scientific story I read about this a few weeks ago but they theorized that this was a purely "local" event spurred by one particular "pod" of whales who had been harrassed by fisherman. (if it's accurate)

Having said that, for 90% of the huge steel-hulled ships on the ocean, getting rammed by 50 Orcas might not even be noticed and the whales would most likely be badly injured. And one fisherman with a rifle thinking payback would mean bye-bye Mr Angry-fish nevermind what a bunch of them would mean. (local extinction)

I seriously doubt "kill all humans" is going to end well for whales in any way .... and since whales are pretty smart that means I think the whole story very unlikely.

Last edited:

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I wonder if they can down an ocean liner coz those have the juiciest fat tourists.
Video in OP says there has never been a known instance of a human killed by an orca in the wild. In captivity, yes.

That 3 1/2 minute video makes it appear that orcas are very similar to humans in a lot of respects.