Orb Cooler On KT-7 Impossible - Need Cooler Recommendations

GaffMan

Sep 20, 2000
Just got my KT-7 Raid Motherboard in with a Chrome-Orb cooler. Big problem ... the capacitors (or whatever the heck they are, verticle cylinder thingees) interfere with the installation of the cooler (scaped a little insulation off one of them trying to install the cooler). The orb won't work on this motherboard, the heat sink would rub against the capacitors even if I got it installed properly. Anyone give me a clue as to the best cooler that will fit the KT-7 board that's $30 or less (less is better). Thanks!

GAFFMAN:disgust:

H4rm

Sep 17, 2000
uh no, the Pal6035 is the best for the KT7-Raid. I have it installed with the 38 cfm fan (its loud though), on my KT7-Raid and it cools and fits beautifully.

JimMc

Platinum Member
Oct 9, 1999
Check 2Cool's selection here Socket Coolers. Unless you intend to get your money back on the Orb, could you possibly grind your self a little clearance on the Orb fins? It won't affect the cooling performance much, if at all.

aventari

Aug 25, 2000
JimMc is right, if you dont wanna go through the hassle of returning it, you can grab a dremel or a grinder of some type and take a few cm's off the corner of the gORB. no loss of performance.

I bought the _exact_ same thing and boy was i pissed when it didn't work.
That sentiment made the grinding a lot more fun however! heh heh

"damn POS heatsink, not fit on _my_ board will you?!"
*grrrrrrind!*
"take that!"
*GRRRRRRRRRRRIND!!!*
"muahahahahahaha"

;]

aventari

GaffMan

Sep 20, 2000
So you took an inch of the upper corner of the orb off with a dremmel in order to install it? How much clearance is there between the capacitors and the orb once installation is completed? Also, how did you make sure all the shavings were removed from the orb, did you just blow it off (Confusious say that tiny metal shavings on motherboard cause great grief for owner)? Hey, how come there isn't an emotion here for curious? Thanks!

GAFFMAN:)

DaddyG

Banned
Mar 24, 2000
One more pimp for TAISOL CEK733092, about $11 online, AMD approved for 1gig plus, AND fits just about every mobo.

ride525

Golden Member
Oct 14, 1999
daddyG

Any place to get the Taisol except direct from them? They want $7 to "ship" one, even if I go pick it up! (I'm local to them.)

Oh, and how do they rate compared to other HSFs?

Mem

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000
Ride525 ,I`m using the Taisol right now on my 900mhz T-bird, it is very good definetly buy one easy to install ,great price,AMD approved up to 1.1GHz ,what more do you want? weekends winning lottery numbers.

:)

DaddyG

Banned
Mar 24, 2000
Ride,

Don't know any 'Local' suppliers of the TAISOL, you might try a web search?. The cooling performance is very good and if you want even more the fan can be switched for more cfm's and of course more noise.