Orange Box Retail Installation Issues

Thatspro

Mar 19, 2011
So i bought the orange box retail, because my internets slow, didn't want to bother with downloading for like 3 days straight. Anyway, i start to install, and creating local game files took ages... i mean like 2 hours, much longer than any other game ever, and i highly doubt it'd take that long. Then it starts downloading the entire game from steam.. and i have the retail cd!!!! Why is this happening?At the moment i'm trying to uninstall everything and reinstall with disc and see what happens, but i doubt buying a 2 disc retail game would just use one disc and make you install via digital download, that's why we buy retail..

duragezic

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
Well, Team Fortress 2 has received a huge number of updates since release. So that could look like it was downloading the whole game as I'm sure the updates are somewhere in the several GB range.

The rest of the games though, haven't received many big updates. Did it say what games were being downloaded and what size the downloads were?

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
Go to your library in Steam and pause the downloads for everything except the one game that you want to play (right-click on each game). That will make installing that one game go much faster.

kinev

Golden Member
Mar 28, 2005
I'd say that it was TF2 that was taking so long. There have been so many updates, that I wouldn't be at all surprised if the size of the game has doubled at least...so worth it, though. ;)

Thatspro

Mar 19, 2011
They were all about 3.8 gigs, besides tf2, which was like 9. Those had to be the full games, not just updates, so i don't get why it won't just install off of the disc, i have no idea why it just starts digitally downloading them when i clearly have the disc.

Texashiker

Lifer
Dec 18, 2010
Activate the cd key through steam
Start the install process through Steam
Pause downloading
Exit steam
Install with CD
Start Steam
Resume updating
Steam should see the game files and only download the updates

That is how I have done it with several Steam games.

gorobei

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2007
tf2 started as a ~2gb game, it is now as you say 9gb. all of that is data not on the cd. The other games also have had a few updates = more files not on cd. Be glad it isnt like BF2 where every patch was the entire game being downloaded.

as for speed issues during install, steam client updates have been pretty oblivious of what your pc is doing at the moment and tends to try to update at the same time as game installs = really slow. install steam only then update it before trying to install game.

Thatspro

Mar 19, 2011
Good News: Got all the games installed. Bad news: tf2 basically won't update.. All the others updated at blazing fasts speeds, and tf2 was for a while, now its downloading at 0bytes a second... not even moving? Is steam's update server down? or what? only got about 2 gb left, and when its downloading correctly that should only take 15 mins or so...

Oct 27, 2007
Good News: Got all the games installed. Bad news: tf2 basically won't update.. All the others updated at blazing fasts speeds, and tf2 was for a while, now its downloading at 0bytes a second... not even moving? Is steam's update server down? or what? only got about 2 gb left, and when its downloading correctly that should only take 15 mins or so...
I get this from time to time, usually sorts itself out within a couple of hours. Steam can be a massive pain some times.

Thatspro

Mar 19, 2011
I get this from time to time, usually sorts itself out within a couple of hours. Steam can be a massive pain some times.

yeah, now it seems to be working, but its not downloading anywhere near as fast as it was.. Oh well, at least its working, and i've definitely noticed how steam can be a pain, haha.

Texashiker

Lifer
Dec 18, 2010
Is steam's update server down? or what?

Valve has download servers all over the world - change your location in Steam and restart. This could make you download from a different data center.

Steam - steam - settings - 5th tab from the left "downloads and cloud" - download region - select another region close to your location.

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
Valve has download servers all over the world - change your location in Steam and restart. This could make you download from a different data center.

Steam - steam - settings - 5th tab from the left "downloads and cloud" - download region - select another region close to your location.

That's what I do when there's a big release or during their New Year's sales. LA server gets loaded easily as it obviously would so I change it to Phoenix.

Thatspro

Mar 19, 2011
That's what I do when there's a big release or during their New Year's sales. LA server gets loaded easily as it obviously would so I change it to Phoenix.

alright thanks, ill try that, its at a normal speed now, not quite as fast as i'd like, but acceptable, but i'll definitely try that if i ever have problems, thank you.