Orange Box First Impressions!

warcrow

Lifer
Jan 12, 2004
Alright--tonight......a few minutes after midnight we're going to have access to the newest episode of one of the greatest series ever made.

Anyone get a copy of the 360 version yet? What about both versions? Thoughts?

------------------------------------------------------------

"The Orange Box" consists of:

Half-Life 2
In 1998 Half-Life sent a shock through the game industry with its combination of pounding action and continuous, immersive storytelling. Valve's debut title wins more than 50 game-of-the-year awards on its way to being named ?Best PC Game Ever? by PC Gamer.

NOW. By taking the suspense, challenge and visceral charge of the original, and adding startling new realism and responsiveness, Half-Life 2 opens the door to a world where the player's presence affects everything around him, from the physical environment to the behaviors, and even emotions, of both friends and enemies.

The player again picks up the crowbar of research scientist Gordon Freeman, who finds himself on an alien-infested Earth being picked to the bone, its resources depleted, its populace dwindling. Freeman is thrust into the unenviable role of rescuing the world from the wrong he unleashed back at Black Mesa. And a lot of people he cares about are counting on him.
Also, Half-Life 2:Lost Coast(seen below) is free for download if you have Half-Life 2.

Half-Life 2: Episode 1
The first in a series of new adventures created by Valve that extends the Half-Life 2 single player experience.

Stepping into the hazard suit of Dr. Gordon Freeman, you face the immediate repercussions of your actions in City 17 and the Citadel. Rejoin Alyx Vance and her robot, Dog, to once again aid the human resistance in their desperate battle against the totalitarian alien menace of the Combine.

Episode One exposes Alyx's combat skills and knowledge of City 17 as the player battles side-by-side with her in this 4-6 hour adventure of greater density and detail than non-episodic releases.

The intense gameplay delivered in Episode One is made possible only by Source, Valve?s proprietary engine technology, which has been enhanced with new rendering technology and advanced artificial intelligence to deliver new levels of graphics and character interaction.

Half-Life 2: Episode 2
The second in a trilogy of new games created by Valve that extends the award-winning and best-selling Half-Life adventure.

As Dr. Gordon Freeman, you were last seen exiting City 17 with Alyx Vance as the Citadel erupted amidst a storm of unknown proportions. In Episode Two, you must battle and race against Combine forces as you traverse the White Forest to deliver a crucial information packet stolen from the Citadel to an enclave of fellow resistance scientists.

Episode Two extends the award-winning Half-Life gameplay with unique weapons, vehicles, and newly-spawned creatures.

Team Fortress 2
Team Fortress 2 (TF2) is the sequel to the game that put class-based, multiplayer team warfare on the map. This year?s most anticipated online action game, TF2 delivers new gametypes, a signature art style powered by Valve?s next generation animation technology, persistent player statistics, and more.

Unlike other ?class-based? games that offer a variety of combat classes only, Team Fortress 2 packs a wild variety of classes which provide a broad range of tactical abilities and personalities, and lend themselves to a variety of player skills.

Play as the flame-throwing Pyro, the room clearing Heavy, or the Spy, a master of disguises. Other classes include: Scout, Sniper, Medic, Engineer, Demoman, or Soldier.

TF2 features the most advanced graphics of any Source-based game released to date ? and the most exciting class-based action ever created.

Classes:
Meet the Heavy
Meet the Soldier
Meet the Engineer
Meet the Demoman
Meet the Scout
Meet the Medic
Meet the Spy
Meet the Pyro
Meet the Sniper

Portal
Portal is a new single player game from Valve. Set in the mysterious Aperture Science Laboratories, Portal has been called one of the most innovative new games on the horizon and will offer gamers hours of unique gameplay.

The game is designed to change the way players approach, manipulate, and surmise the possibilities in a given environment; similar to how Half-Life 2?s Gravity Gun innovated new ways to leverage an object in any given situation.

Players must solve physical puzzles and challenges by opening portals to maneuvering objects, and themselves, through space.

Portal is coming on October 10, 2007 as part of The Orange Box.

Release Dates:
PC - 10/10/2007 on Steam,Midnight Launch 12:01 pst.-October 12 in Europe
X360 - 10/10/2007 (10/12/2007 Europe)
PS3 - "around two or three weeks later" -Doug Lombardi

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: warcrow
Alright--tonight......a few minutes after midnight we're going to have access to the newest episode of one of the greatest series ever made.

well ... i liked HL/HL2 but didn't like Ch1 enough to finish it [before i lost my Seam Password]; so i might take issue with your "greatest series" statement. :p
--will i have problems understanding where i left off in the middle of Ch1?
:confused:
--and i only have Portal ... Steam Servers are permanently busy for me :( ...

About the only thing i am really hoping for is a bug-free experience. i am expecting it will be decent enough - and i want to finally see a working flashlight on Source with interactive shadows.

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004

Went to BB, CC, gamestop, and target and NOBODY was giving this away early for any excuse. Kind of sad really... I really want to screw with portal :(

Slick5150

Diamond Member
Nov 10, 2001
Wouldn't do you any good to get it early since you can't unlock the game on Steam until after midnight tonight anyways.

Balt

Lifer
Mar 12, 2000
I think I'll start out playing some Episode II until I need a break and then play Portal for a bit. :p

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
There's about no-one around here whom has it in stock yet.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: Slick5150
Wouldn't do you any good to get it early since you can't unlock the game on Steam until after midnight tonight anyways.

if i can't D/L Ep2 because the Servers are too busy now - and for the past 1-1/2 days ... do you think the unlocking is going to go smoothly at the stroke of midnight?

warcrow

Lifer
Jan 12, 2004
Originally posted by: apoppin

well ... i liked HL/HL2 but didn't like Ch1 enough to finish it [before i lost my Seam Password]; so i might take issue with your "greatest series" statement. :p
--will i have problems understanding where i left off in the middle of Ch1?
--and i only have Portal ... Steam Servers are permanently busy for me :( ...

About the only thing i am really hoping for is a bug-free experience. i am expecting it will be decent enough - and i want to finally see a working flashlight on Source with interactive shadows.

Fair enough. It's completely subjective. I was really speaking for myself--atleast, that was the intent.

So you really got bored with Episode 1 but enjoyed HL2 proper? I find that interesting because most people I know, who enjoy this series, mainly contend that E1 was an imporvement overall. So, I'm curious if you know what it was, in particular, that you found boring.

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
I wish it wasn't like 3 am EST when they unlock them. :( I have work @ 8 haha.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Fair enough. It's completely subjective. I was really speaking for myself--atleast, that was the intent.

So you really got bored with Episode 1 but enjoyed HL2 proper? I find that interesting because most people I know, who enjoy this series, mainly contend that E1 was an imporvement overall. So, I'm curious if you know what it was, in particular, that you found boring.
i was horribly bored with Ep1 ... i hated the sudden 'puzzle' aspect and the overuse of the Gravity Gun.

I wish it wasn't like 3 am EST when they unlock them. I have work @ 8 haha.
midnight here ... PST :p
-if the Steam Servers don't crash

but i don't really care to play until the weekend

i still can't get Ep2 ... i guess by the time i am done with Portal ....

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
what is "360 talk"?

--other than in Video - where they talk in circles

i don't mind "comparing" a cross-platform game here
... where else, console gaming? :p

FP

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2005
I am waiting to pick up the PC version from Frys on Thursday for $36. Hopefully I can get BB or Gamestop to PM.

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
Originally posted by: Molondo
Originally posted by: Ackmed
This is PC gaming... take the 360 talk to console forums?

Wallah, not even kidding.

I didn't want to cross post and warcrow specifically asked for that info. Being the OP (and being warcrow) I felt his question should have been answered. And it's still on topic because this is a thread about the orange box. Thread crap elsewhere.

Noema

Platinum Member
Feb 15, 2005
2AM for me. I have to work tomorrow so no waiting until the unlock for me. I'll just go to bed and play tomorrow at lunch time.

I'm really excited about Portal.

bamacre

Lifer
Jul 1, 2004
Originally posted by: apoppin
3 /5 more hours! :D

not for me ... i have been trying for Ep2 since it was made available :(

The Steam servers are currently too busy to handle any more preloads of Half-Life 2: Episode Two. Please try again in a few hours.

i DO have Portal

I am pre-loading HL2 Ep2 and TF2 right now, getting 137K/sec and 233k/sec respectively.

JasonSix78

Platinum Member
Mar 5, 2005
Everything is pre-loaded on my PC waiting for Steam to unlock them. I just played through HL2 and Episode 1 again over the past week to prepare for Episode 2. Peggle has been preoccupying me until later tonight.

Zenoth

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2005
Lucky credit card owners ...

I'll have to wait later tomorrow to buy it at the stores IF there's any left ...

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
Yea this sux, I go into work at 6am so not time to play until I get home at 4pm tomorrow. Sux for me