Options for streaming audio around the house?

imported_blip

Dec 13, 2004
Hope this is the right forum, couldn't decide between Windows, networking, etc.

Used to have mostly Mac stuff, but recently built a PC. I've been using 2 Airport Expresses to Airplay music to 2 different setups in my house. One is our entertainment center sound bar, which is on the network via Ethernet, and the other is a mini amp with floor speakers over wi-fi. Mostly works fine, but iTunes is getting clunky as is the Airplay program, and worried that they will get less and less support and iTunes changes to Music.

Any recs for programs other than iTunes and ways to stream around the house? I only listen to my music, not Spotify or any other streaming music service. If other programs won't work with my Airport devices, what other options do people use? I looked into Sonos, but they are really expensive, and I don't need new speakers. Mainly looking for a program that will work easily and quickly, allow me to sync/update my iPhone, and somehow stream around the house. If it can be controlled via an iPhone app, that would also be great (a recent update of either iOS or iTunes has meant my Remote app rarely works without me have to go over to iTunes and change settings around).

Thanks for the help!

funboy6942

Lifer
Nov 13, 2001
Receiver with air play, or use is different zones and hard wire. I use a Denon with my pc and it's got 3 zones to put speakers around the house or outside, and my Onkyo has air play that can be done wirelessly, or its got 3 zones too. Best option imo, for you can get receivers pretty cheap for I got my Denon at bargain hunt for just 99 bucks and it's a 4k with Bluetooth as well, done stole it from them for it's a 400 dollar unit and only missing it's remote, but my LG V20 has a blaster and program I use does all its features so win win for me. But I been using receivers from good will rather then a sound card and some cheap speakers. But there is a darn good option imo for your dilemma.