Options For Re-Locating All HDDs To External Hot Plug Case ?

Discussion in 'Memory and Storage' started by phpdog, Jun 7, 2010.

1. phpdog

phpdog Senior member

Hi ,

Can anyone offer any advice on how I could Re-Locate 9 x SATA II HDDs to an external dedicated Hot Plugging Case with its own PSU ?

My system has become far too hot and crammed . I want to do as stated above and have some way off connecting the SATA Cables from the External HDD Case to the main PC Case where the SATA RAID Card and 8 x SATA II Ports on my Motherboard .

My motherboard has 8 x SATA + 1 x eSATA . RAID Card has 4 x SATA II + 4 x eSATA .

Would the product below work or something similar ?

Lycom ST-126RM SATA II 3Gbps 1-To-5 Port Multiplier Bridge Board - For Rack Mount @ £44

http://www.scan.co.uk/Shop/Computer-...ontrollers/All

2. Loading...

Similar Threads - Options Locating HDDs Forum Date
    Why so few PCI-E M.2 NVMe SSDs? Where are the budget options? Where's the sweet spot? Memory and Storage Sep 6, 2017
    Hybrid cloud options with auto tiering? Memory and Storage Jan 31, 2017
    Removable storage options for offline backup Memory and Storage Jan 14, 2017
    Recommendations for 5TB+ storage option for Plex media? Memory and Storage Nov 22, 2016
    SSD block location Memory and Storage Mar 6, 2014

3. Modelworks

Modelworks Lifer

You could just install them in another case and run a cable for each drive back to the pc and use adapters to convert the drives to have esata connectors on the back of the pc which would make connecting between the two easier. The brackets are cheap too.

Those 5 to 1 cards can be problematic sometimes depending on the chipset they use. Sometimes they have really poor throughput.
    You really should consider SAS when you start talking about moving 9 HDD to another case. SAS can be really expensive though.

http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/8-Por...t-lane-25-Gb-s

I would go the bracket method and just run 1 esata cable for each drive. That way you keep the performance the same as when it was in your case but get to move them to another case .
    http://www.cooldrives.com/intoexes4pop.html
    Put 2 brackets in each case , add 8 cables and you are done.

4. phpdog

phpdog Senior member

Hi ,

Thanks for advice , I'm looking around my local Hardware shops and online retailers to work out which setup would work best and not be overly expensive .

I never really considered the bottle neck some of these port expanders can have .

I'm also thinking about buyng a new motherboard with more eSATA Options .

Cheers

5. corkyg

corkyg Elite Member<br>Super Moderator <br>Peripherals
    Super Moderator