Optical input broken

zero koopa

Apr 21, 2008
I have a sony amplifier that was part of a HTiB (got it when i worked at BB and regret it everyday, should have saved the money) Any way there are two inputs for a fiber optic cable and one is broken. It just doesn't click (that snapping sound to know the cable is in place) and hangs there loosly. Talked to sony technician who gave me no answers. Are there any walk through for replacing this part, and do they sell these pieces. Let me know if I need to clarify anything.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
The jack and optic is a complete unit in order to mate properly. Are you sure you removed the dust cap from the fiber cable?

PurdueRy

Lifer
Nov 12, 2004
If the "flap" that covers the female optical port breaks off, the cable will no longer be held in properly. This has happened to me before.

zero koopa

Apr 21, 2008
Originally posted by: PurdueRy
If the "flap" that covers the female optical port breaks off, the cable will no longer be held in properly. This has happened to me before.

ya this is what happened, (and yes i did take the cap off) Is there anyway to replace this part? (the actual place where you stick the optical cable?

PurdueRy

Lifer
Nov 12, 2004
Originally posted by: zero koopa
Originally posted by: PurdueRy

ya this is what happened, (and yes i did take the cap off) Is there anyway to replace this part? (the actual place where you stick the optical cable?

Yes, you can...you would have to open the receiver, undo the screw that holds that port on...carefully disconnect any wiring or unsolder the part and put on a similar optical receiver....

Depending on how they have it connected it could be easy or very very risky.