Opteron A1100 is shipping

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
Granted judging by the ~30% drop in Xeon D 1520 motherboard pricing after just a few months

The quad core Xeon-D models @ 45 W aren't that impressive, it's probably not selling.

AtenRa

Lifer
Feb 2, 2009
So does the A1100, no USB? wtf, also the number of SATA is really 14? why the Seattle reference platform has only 8?

The 8 PCI-E lines is a BAD idea, you already need to waste 2 of them on a USB controller and Aspeed chip.

anyway you can check here:
http://www.newegg.com/SuperMicro-Server-Motherboards/BrandSubCat/ID-1655-302

Must Avoton boards are sub-300, Xeon-D starts at 490...

If A1100 boards are really $300 to $400 we have a problem here, because Avoton retains its price/perf/features.

So what whould be the best use for A1100? And thats considering Avoton is on its way out.

Also someone has info on the features of the SATA controller on A1100? It has SAS? it has HW raid?

The 8x Core AVOTON boards on newegg start at $340. For those Newegg boards

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813182855
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813182851

1. They can only support up to 64GB ram DDR-3 UDIMM only ram (up to 1600MHz).
2. They only have 2x SATA-6 ports
3. They only have PCIe Gen 2.0 8x port
4. They only have 4x 1GbE Ethernet ports

In contrast A1100 has

1. Support up to 128GB of DDR-3 or DDR-4 RDIMM (up to 64GB UDIMM) of ram (up to 1866MHz DDR-4 1.2V)
2. Up to 14x SATA-6 ports
3. Up to PCIe Gen 3.0 8x port
4. 2x 10GbE Ethernet ports

So, A1100 has double the RAM and higher Bandwidth
Up to 12x more SATA-6 ports
Double the PCIe bandwidth
more than 4x more Ethernet Bandwidth

So the best use of A1100 vs AVOTON is memcache, data storage, large encryption/decryption datacenters etc etc

Also, for those that want to have a glimpse in to sizes.
AVOTON (22nm) package size is 34mm x 28mm
A1100 (28nm) package size is 27mm x 27mm

Last edited:

USER8000

Golden Member
Jun 23, 2012
Its another case of AMD pre-empting things a bit too early before software support is available. They really need to kind of get things more closely co-ordinated together otherwise in reality the R and D revenue is not getting realised in actual products for years,and they need to be generating money in the near future to survive!

dark zero

Platinum Member
Jun 2, 2015
Its another case of AMD pre-empting things a bit too early before software support is available. They really need to kind of get things more closely co-ordinated together otherwise in reality the R and D revenue is not getting realised in actual products for years,and they need to be generating money in the near future to survive!
Agreed, but at least they entered on A53, which makes them still decent to use... but they must sell it for lower prices in order to become good sellers.

Phynaz

Lifer
Mar 13, 2006
The 8x Core AVOTON boards on newegg start at $340. For those Newegg boards

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813182855
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813182851

1. They can only support up to 64GB ram DDR-3 UDIMM only ram (up to 1600MHz).
2. They only have 2x SATA-6 ports
3. They only have PCIe Gen 2.0 8x port
4. They only have 4x 1GbE Ethernet ports

In contrast A1100 has

1. Support up to 128GB of DDR-3 or DDR-4 RDIMM (up to 64GB UDIMM) of ram (up to 1866MHz DDR-4 1.2V)
2. Up to 14x SATA-6 ports
3. Up to PCIe Gen 3.0 8x port
4. 2x 10GbE Ethernet ports

So, A1100 has double the RAM and higher Bandwidth
Up to 12x more SATA-6 ports
Double the PCIe bandwidth
more than 4x more Ethernet Bandwidth

So the best use of A1100 vs AVOTON is memcache, data storage, large encryption/decryption datacenters etc etc

Also, for those that want to have a glimpse in to sizes.
AVOTON (22nm) package size is 34mm x 28mm
A1100 (28nm) package size is 27mm x 27mm

Blah, blah, blah. We don't need you spewing AMD's marketing slides to us and regurgitated stuff from other posters that we've already read. We are all perfectly capable of understanding them the first time we read them.

Got anything that proves A1100 is better at anything?

Seriously, if you dont have anything to add to the conversation stay out of my thread.

AtenRa

Lifer
Feb 2, 2009

Just did, perhaps you should read my post above again ??

Seriously, if you dont have anything to add to the conversation stay out of my thread.

Seriously you need to chill out, my posts are on topic. If you dont like the fact that A1100 has more features that makes it better suited than AVOTON for those server cases its not my problem.

USER8000

Golden Member
Jun 23, 2012
Blah, blah, blah. We don't need you spewing AMD's marketing slides to us and regurgitated stuff from other posters that we've already read. We are all perfectly capable of understanding them the first time we read them.

So,if that is case why are you getting so annoyed? He responded to another poster who was talking about specs,so why can't he compare the two??

The other poster may wish to link to some of the Intel material too,for his counter-argument,so would that mean he is barred from doing so in this thread??

Oh goodness,if that is the case we should stop comparing anything on these forums.

monstercameron

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2013

Seriously you need to chill out, my posts are on topic. If you dont like the fact that A1100 has more features that makes it better suited than AVOTON for those server cases its not my problem.
The one who has no argument doesn't like others using data points to express their position.

Good points atenra, I can't wait to see what niches that this will fill.

positivedoppler

Golden Member
Apr 30, 2012

Your thread? Who made you the boss of this forum.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001

So this thread is only an IST circle-jerk to disparage AMD? Got ya.

PPB

Golden Member
Jul 5, 2013
At least there is consistency. His posts never add anything to any discussion, his threads people are refrained from posting things that add something to the discussion.

The people that say this is midway between avoton and bw d are delusional. This is clearly an avoton competitor and people that bring up a product that consumes almost as twice wattage and costs many times more too clearly cant grasp the target of this product. Probably k12/zen will be pitted against bw d/skl d in the future.

Schmide

Diamond Member
Mar 7, 2002
Seriously guys. It's the first step of a new platform on an existing IP set. If you expect it to be a killer app day one, you're doing it wrong. ARM is an ecosystem of its own and providing a robust platform of any type is only going to improve their inroads into other segments.

Last edited:

Phynaz

Lifer
Mar 13, 2006

All you did was post marketing junk for the fourth time and keep repeating it makes it better without any proof.

How about this...post any independent information about this CPU running COTS software. Just one link or article. Doesn't have to be a benchmark or anything like that.

Without anything actually running any software it's not better than any other CPU.

ShintaiDK

Lifer
Apr 22, 2012
Seriously guys. It's the first step of a new platform on an existing IP set. If you expect it to be a killer app day one, you're doing it wrong. ARM is an ecosystem of its own and providing a robust platform of any type is only going to improve their inroads into other segments.

ARM servers isn't anything new. Releasing a product with no applications and no support gives no sales.

Schmide

Diamond Member
Mar 7, 2002
ARM servers isn't anything new. Releasing a product with no applications and no support gives no sales.

and integration of their IP stack has to begin somewhere. You think all programmers work behind the scenes?

ShintaiDK

Lifer
Apr 22, 2012
and integration of their IP stack has to begin somewhere. You think all programmers work behind the scenes?

I do expect a company that wish to sell their product to do their homework, rather than to put their hopes on that someone else will do the heavy lifting for them. They should have had plenty of time with the 2 year delay as well. With such an amateurish approach, sales will be miniscule at best.

Gikaseixas

Platinum Member
Jul 1, 2004

He answered another user and was very informative. Take off those Intel shades please, you're losing it pal.