Question Opinions please - Get a PS4 or PS4 Pro or wait?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

UberNeuman

Lifer
Nov 4, 1999
I've got a few gift cards stacked up over the last year and was thinking about getting a game system. I have a fair PC, so most of the Microsoft games that I'd want to play have been ported over, and the Nintendo Switch has nothing I'm really interested in - and both the Switch and Xbox systems are great so it's not a slam against them.

Now the PS4 has a few games I'd like to get, Last of Us, the Uncharted series, RDR2 - and what really has my attention is Days Gone. I'm a sucker for a good zombie game, and this looks like one I'd want to play. So here's where I stand - get a PS4 with the gift cards or shell out an extra 100.00 with the gift cards for the PS4 Pro. I have a tv that does HDR, but really haven't been blown away by it.

The PS4 Pro does have more power, but, as late as I come to buy and PS5 might be out in another year, is a PS4 Pro really worth the extra cash?

Thanks for your time, gents.

WhiteNoise

Golden Member
Jun 22, 2016
Dolby vision is not something I'm interested in. Mainly due to the shape of my theater room and it's arched ceiling. My Denon HT receiver supports it but it's just not something I'm interested in. My theater is 7.2 and honestly it sounds amazing.

7 speakers and a 12" sub and 15" sub. let me tell you...it kicks butt.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Dolby vision is not something I'm interested in. Mainly due to the shape of my theater room and it's arched ceiling. My Denon HT receiver supports it but it's just not something I'm interested in. My theater is 7.2 and honestly it sounds amazing.

7 speakers and a 12" sub and 15" sub. let me tell you...it kicks butt.

I was a bit confused at first when I read your post and started talking about your ceilings. :p I think you're talking about Dolby Atmos, which is a 3D object-based sound processing algorithm similar to DTS:X and Auro 3D. Dolby Vision is an enhancement to HDR10 that allows for dynamic reallocation of the colorspace. What this means is that if a scene tends to lean toward specific colors or shades, the colorspace can change to cover more variations that the scene actually uses instead of wasting bits representing colors that don't exist.

Reactions: WhiteNoise

WhiteNoise

Golden Member
Jun 22, 2016
I was a bit confused at first when I read your post and started talking about your ceilings. :p I think you're talking about Dolby Atmos, which is a 3D object-based sound processing algorithm similar to DTS:X and Auro 3D. Dolby Vision is an enhancement to HDR10 that allows for dynamic reallocation of the colorspace. What this means is that if a scene tends to lean toward specific colors or shades, the colorspace can change to cover more variations that the scene actually uses instead of wasting bits representing colors that don't exist.

/facepalm...yes I got mixed up! lol