Opinions on used Lenovo y410p for $750?

poohbear

Platinum Member
Mar 11, 2003
Hey all, my ancient 7 year old laptop finally died. It was a Samsung Sens Q35 & mostly for work, so it got the job done right up until it died earlier this year. I hardly use my laptop, between my smartphone & desktop i just find i don't really need it most of the time. However, 2 times during the year it really helps with my work and i travel 3-4 times a year (vacation/work) so it'd be nice to have one again for multimedia.... I'm also gamer but I game solely on my powerful desktop, but it'd be nice to have a laptop that can do some light gaming.

I found a good deal for a used laptop for $750 with really high specs, what do you think of this laptop for the price:

Model: Lenovo y410p

4th gen i7 4770mq (Haswell!)
16gb DDR3 RAM (1600mhz)
1TB 5200rpm hdd
25 gb ssd
14" display (1600x900)
onboard hd 4600 + GT 750m 2gb gddr5
backlight keyboard
JBL speakers built in
HD 720 webcam
Windows 8.1
5 hours on full battery

When i first saw it i thought its overkill for my needs (16gb RAM on a laptop?!?). But then i figured since i kept my last laptop for 7 years i might as well get something that'll last. Is the Lenovo brand name reputable for longevity? It still has a 1 year warranty on it.

Are those specs too much for my needs? I'm sure I can find a cheaper one for $250 and that'll do me just fine....but looking at all the specs for the above i can't help think this is something i'd buy and be very happy with for years to come. If it had 1080p id buy it instantly....but the 1600×900 is making me doubt it as id be keeping this laptop for atleast 7+ years. Opinions?

EDIT: is it even realistic to expect a Lenovo 400 series laptop of lasting 5-7 years?

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2008
Right now on the Lenovo website you can get a y410p with an i7-4700MQ and GT755M for 830.00. Has only 8gb of ram, but that seems like plenty for a laptop. I would go for that brand new from lenovo unless the seller was willing to lower the price considerably.

poohbear

Platinum Member
Mar 11, 2003
Yes i noticed that. He said the 16gb of ram more than makes up for it, but i told him i dont need 16gb of ram on a laptop! I think ill pass, but mainly because the user experiences im reading is that lenovos dont last 5+ years.:(

Last edited:

CrimsonWolf

Oct 28, 2000
Meh. The 16 GB is not enough to make up for the fact that just a little more $$$ can bring the peace of mind of a brand new laptop, at least if I were in your shoes.

We've got several Thinkpads at work that are 3-5 years old that are still going strong. But those are Thinkpads, can't speak to the y-line. That said I recently bought one of Lenovo's dirt cheap G series for home and am reasonably impressed with the build quality on it. Hopefully it'll last a while.