Opinions on this HDTV...

Crescent13

Diamond Member
Jan 12, 2005
I have a 26 inch CRT HDTV too. It's awesome!!!! (I have a samsung). I would personally get samsung over toshiba, but, that's just me. I have mine in my room, and It looks just fine with regular cable (that's all I have too). Here are the pros of CRT HDTV's.

Perfect contrast
Perfect response time
(almost) Perfect color (depends on brand)

cons

big
heavy
doesn't come in 1080P

IMO, CRT FTW.

phaxmohdem

Golden Member
Aug 18, 2004
www.avxmedia.com
Wow, My 47" Projection TV also does 1080i, and I've got to tell you the first football game you watch at that res will make you shed a tear of joy. I can't even begin to imagine how sharp that picture would be on a 26" screen. Pixels would be like Uber tiny and stuff.

Only con's I can see would be if the CRT was shodd and gave a blurry image, but if its crystal clear I'd go for it too.

Normal cable looks like it does on any other TV, though if this is a 16x9 aspect ratio boob tube, then it may stretch a bit and look funny. (Most wide ratio TV's have an option that restores the original 4:3 ratio, but you have to live with black / gray bars on either side.)

Tone203

Nov 11, 2005
Black/grey bars won't bother me...I always buy widescreen DVDs by mistake and have to deal with the bars...

The main driving point is the Xbox 360 I am picking up on launch day...

I plan on getting an HDTV a little bit after Christmas...and I want 16:9...but only have about $600 to spend...So this looks right up my alley..I'll probably head over to best buy and check out how the picture looks first...

If you guys have any better CRT widescreen HDTVs above 25 inches in my $600 budget you can recommend I would consider them.

Thanks guys, this forum is great for an HDTV rookie like myself...Very quick responses to all my questions. One of the friendliest, and most helpful forums I have come across. I appreciate the help greatly.

Keeir

Jun 7, 2005
The only potential problem is that it doesn't have an ATSC tuner... which means to recieve OTA HD content, you would need to have an antenna and buy a tuner. Tuners are generally reasonable in price, but still plan around 100 dollars.