Opinions on the Samsung BD-UP5000?

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
So Amazon is running the BD-UP5000 deal for 449.99 deal, in addition they'll do get 2 HD DVDs with the purchase of 2 BRDs. I don't have a BRD player yet, I was thinking about picking up a PS3 just for BRD capability (I already have a hardcore gaming computer and I don't really need a console system) but now, for another 50 bucks I can get a standalone BRD/HD-DVD combo player and then throw my HD-A3 in the closet in case I ever need it (or give it to my 'rents as an upconverter). Anyone have experience with the BD-UP5000? I can read reviews online until I'm blue in the face but I'd like to hear some personal experience. Thanks guys!

<edit>The reason I haven't actually purchased yet is that I've heard about the 2 channel TrueHD issue and I'm wondering what the status is on that. I'm not buying a player that won't actually output surround sound. But then, how important is this really? I feel like it's the same as SD's DD vs DTS. I'm looking at all my HD-DVDs and I don't believe I have any that have a TrueHD track without having a DD+ track. I'm going to be listening to predominately DD+ anyway? No? Does it reallllly matter that I only have 2 channel TrueHD support? I suppose I'm just still a bit confused about HD audio. I've also heard this player doesn't output HD audio to a receiver? Seems pretty absurd not to properly support HD audio formats.</edit>

Shawn

Lifer
Apr 20, 2003
Samsung may or may not fix the TrueHD issue in the future, who knows. Most movies come with Dolby Digital in addition to TrueHD so it shouldn't be a huge deal. There have also been some compatibility issues with this player but I think Samsung has fixed most if not all of them by now. That said, I'd probably still get one if I had the money just to get rid of one of my players. I currently have the Samsung BD-P1200 bluray player so this wouldn't be any worse than what I already have.

Also, like the BD-P1200 it has a reon video processor so dvd upconversion should be stellar.

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
Know anything about the comments on HD audio output? Among the various reviews I've read around I hear different things about HD audio output? It seems that the only way to get HD audio is the on machine analog outs, and that DD+ and TrueHD cannot be output via HDMI to a receiver? Has this changed via firmware? Will it?

erwos

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2005
Didn't LG say they were still planning on making more dual-format players?

IMHO, you're still better off buying a cheap HD-DVD player and a BR-D player of your choice.

biggestmuff

Diamond Member
Mar 20, 2001
don't waste your money on that. just wait a bit longer. All manufacturers are lagging on releasing Profile 2.0, and to some extent Profile 1.1 players, but a new batch of models from all will be out shortly.