Opinions on replacing 7D kit with Fuji X-Pro 1

zerogear

Diamond Member
Jun 4, 2000
Seems like it draws much less attention and a lot lighter. Anyone have any experience with the X-Pro 1?

zerogear

Diamond Member
Jun 4, 2000
X Pro 1 feels like a 2nd version of X100 which replaceable lens and such. (X mount) though it lacks flash without a shoe mount flash

Eug

Lifer
Mar 11, 2000
Do you have many EOS lenses? Is the EOS M a consideration? Not that I'm considering the Canon mirrorless at this point, but I wouldn't consider the Fuji either because I already have a whole bunch of EOS lenses and the Fuji has very, very few lenses to choose from anyway.

runawayprisoner

Platinum Member
Apr 2, 2008
Last time I picked an X-Pro 1 up, I was darn impressed with Fuji's lens selection.

But one thing held me back from picking one up over my good ol' X100: autofocus speed. It's darn slow... especially in low light.

Not sure if Fuji has made it any better in newer firmwares. But if they did, I'd definitely contemplate an upgrade. The thought of a higher-resolution X100 with a 35mm f/1.4 lens is very appealing.

I don't dig the black chrome look, though. I hope they come out with a silver/black look like the X100 soon... even if it's a limited edition.

Adramalech

Aug 17, 2010
www.jeromekoehler.com
Do you have many EOS lenses? Is the EOS M a consideration? Not that I'm considering the Canon mirrorless at this point, but I wouldn't consider the Fuji either because I already have a whole bunch of EOS lenses and the Fuji has very, very few lenses to choose from anyway.
I have a t4i and I picked up Canon EOS-M and I cannot recommend the camera. Adding the adapter that allows the EF and EF-S lenses ads considerable bulk to it and, in my personal opinion, the lack of a viewfinder hurts a bit. If you do any shooting that requires AF, you will notice that the EOS-M is sluggish. I am really hoping they fix this via a firmware upgrade and that it isn't a hardware issue. I am replacing that camera with a OMD EM-5.

finbarqs

Diamond Member
Feb 16, 2005
I just like the XE-1 silver body. Damn it's sexy. Pair it with a FD mount adapter, 55 f/1.2 S.C.C. here I come! radiation city boy!

whiteonline

Dec 13, 2009
I have moved from DSLR to X-Pro 1.
If you want to do it, be prepared to accept the limitations and quirks of the Fuji. The AF is indeed slow and it uses contrast detection, not phase detection like DSLR. The corrected framing on the optical viewfinder is not 100% accurate, but you learn and adapt over time.
Also, the RAW converters are not quite there yet for the X-Trans sensor (though, I find myself satisfied with OOC JPEG 95% of the time).

Personally, I love the quirks of the camera. I find myself to be more methodical in the planning and execution of my shots. When you nail it, the image quality of the fuji lens and sensor are simply fantastic.