Opinions on on overclocked hardware for sale.

HeXploiT

Diamond Member
Jun 11, 2004
When buying used hardware do you consider it a + or a - if the hardware has been overclocked? Frequently I see hardware for sale here or on ebay where people intentionally make the point that something has not been overclocked. I personally view this as a negative. When I sell hardware that has been overclocked I specifically make it a point to tell just how well something does overclock and I feel I always benefit from this.
What say you?

Extelleron

Diamond Member
Dec 26, 2005
If it is a good overclocker, then it is a positive. If it is a bad overclocker, then it is a negative to me.

Billb2

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2005
99% of the general public either is ignorant about of overclocking or afraid of it. So it depends on whom you are marketing to.

Generally of it's a high end component you may want to mention overclockability. If it's something mainstream, skip it.

AmberClad

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2005
Originally posted by: Perry404
When I sell hardware that has been overclocked I specifically make it a point to tell just how well something does overclock and I feel I always benefit from this.
If the previous owner had to use a significant overvolt to achieve that overclock, then that's a major negative in my mind, especially in the case of RAM, but also CPUs. If I see a seller state that they achieved an unusually high OC, then I'm going to suspect that they fed that part unusually high voltages (unless they state otherwise) and that the future reliability of that part is going to be in doubt.

Course, if they explicitly guarantee buyers that they will be able to achieve a certain overclock with minimal or no voltage increase, then that's another story. But most sellers won't give that sort of money-back guarantee.