Opinions on eero?

JackMDS

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 25, 1999
Given the way it distributes the WIFI (basically fancy Extenders) and the High price.

I have Big doubts that it is a good solution.

:cool:

Last edited:

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
According to that video, you create an account with Eero to use the device. :eek: There's not a chance in hell I would ever use or recommend a device that is, by design, insecure. :thumbsdown:

Yep.

And according to thewirecutter's test, "When the eero loses its Internet connection, you lose the ability to access any of its features and settings. Worse, if you reset the eero when it doesn’t have an Internet connection, you’ll lose your Wi-Fi signal, too. You then won’t be able to use any devices on your local network"

Why would I use a product like this only because it looks easy & fancy but expensive?

Last edited:

AnonymouseUser

Diamond Member
May 14, 2003
Yep.

And according to thewirecutter's test, "When the eero loses its Internet connection, you lose the ability to access any of its features and settings. Worse, if you reset the eero when it doesn’t have an Internet connection, you’ll lose your Wi-Fi signal, too. You then won’t be able to use any devices on your local network"

Why would I use a product like this?

Too funny! The best part is how the CEO justifies this process:

You'll first have to create an account with Eero by adding your email address as well as your phone number. That sounds a little strange at first, but Eero CEO Nick Weaver tells me that the system uses these to send verification codes instead of having you set up an account password. "Most of our early users set very insecure passwords," he says, "and because this account controls your home network, we wanted it to be as secure as possible."

Source

Most (all?) new routers come with a unique password, so every device has a secure password by default. That is a weak justification.

JackMDS

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 25, 1999
You have to give few points :colbert: to the people that decided to produce and sell this product.

It base on the simple (and true) assumption that majority the consumers know nothing about Computers' technology but love Cell phone Apps,

AnonymouseUser

Diamond Member
May 14, 2003
You have to give few points :colbert: to the people that decided to produce and sell this product.

It base on the simple (and true) assumption that majority the consumers know nothing about Computers' technology but love Cell phone Apps,

True that! :D