Opinions on Archos 20gb MP3 Player

BHeemsoth

Platinum Member
Jul 30, 2002
I have been thinking about getting one of these, and this deal is just too hard to pass up Text. The reviews on this unit seem pretty decent, and i dont feel like spending the money for an ipod or even a zen right now, so if anyone has any experience with this unit, please let me know.

Also, can anyone telll me if the screen is backlighted, and if so, what color backlight does it have?

elektrolokomotive

Golden Member
Jan 14, 2004
I've had a Studio 20 for about a year and a half now. It's been pretty reliable. I do have a few minor complaints. The display doesn't have enough info, and the volume control is too difficult to use (you have to navigate through the menus to get there, there's no analog control for it). Mine isn't backlit so much as it has a greenish light over the display (another small complaint).

Yaotl

Jul 7, 2001
i had the fm model and it's currently sitting on my office desktop as a player. it was okay for a portable for a while, but i had a few more lockups and "disk failure" warnings than i'd like when i'm not at my computer. the rockbox firmware is a must if you do get it though. not a bad price, but it's that low for a reason.

Xionide

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2002
Integrated battery, nuff said. Get a zen. pic
Get the 25% deal that is going on in hot deals

deejayshakur

Platinum Member
Aug 7, 2000
get the zen if you don't wanna splurge. you'll thank me later. altho zen's are notorious for failing after the 90 day warranty runs out. mine's going strong for 6 months... just get an extended warranty.

the thing with the archos, sure it's cheap but you get what you pay for. my friend hates the software and he's itching to get rid of it as soon as a good deal on the new gen units come out.

BHeemsoth

Platinum Member
Jul 30, 2002
Originally posted by: deejayshakur
get the zen if you don't wanna splurge. you'll thank me later. altho zen's are notorious for failing after the 90 day warranty runs out. mine's going strong for 6 months... just get an extended warranty.

the thing with the archos, sure it's cheap but you get what you pay for. my friend hates the software and he's itching to get rid of it as soon as a good deal on the new gen units come out.

Tell your friend to give the alternate firmware, Rockbox a try. I hear it vastly improves the menu system, increases battery life, and adds many additional features.

-Brian

Mar 15, 2003
I've been through two of them - and not by choice.. I had a studio 10 for a good three months before it had HD spinning errors... I called customer service, RMA'd it and 2 months later I had a new one .. Guess what, the new one failed out of the box! I called them again but they insisted that they tested out the unit before sending it to me.. Eventually they agreed to exchange it but I didn't feel like going through the whole process again (and waiting another 2 months) so I just got an Ipod- my 2nd gen ipod has lasted me 2 years so far..