Opinions on Anno 2070?

thm1223

Jun 24, 2011
Hi everyone,

I'm looking for a good strategy game to tide me over until Company of Heroes 2 comes out. What are your guys' opinions on Anno 2070? From gameplay footage I've seen on youtube, it seems to be pretty intricate and visually appealing. Sort of a hybrid between a grand strategy and micro-intensive RTS.

Thoughts?

KaOTiK

Lifer
Feb 5, 2001
I really like it. It is basically a city/society builder. It is an excellent game but it is not an RTS, it is a 4x game basically without the combat.

thm1223

Jun 24, 2011
I really like it. It is basically a city/society builder. It is an excellent game but it is not an RTS, it is a 4x game basically without the combat.

Wait but I've definitely seen combat/nuclear war in the game.

thejunglegod

Golden Member
Feb 12, 2012
It's a wonderful game, but it will cause a little trouble if micromanagement is not your style. Managing resources along with a little bit of combat is what this game is all about. However, it comes with Uplay and the need to be always online so...

Zorander

Golden Member
Nov 3, 2010
I like this game a lot. It's very much a city-/resource-building game at heart with very minimal combat involved. I think it's quite more streamlined than Anno 1404; there is less cross-dependence between 'races' as society level progresses.

Be prepared to sink hours into it in a single gameplay though as it's not for those who spend casual hours playing (nor those who want combat-oriented gameplay).

KaOTiK

Lifer
Feb 5, 2001
Wait but I've definitely seen combat/nuclear war in the game.

There is so little combat and it isn't the focus of the game at all it pretty much doesn't exists for all intent and purposes really.

chimaxi83

Diamond Member
May 18, 2003
Yeah the actual combat part of this game is pretty sparse compared to the content of the game. I really like it, though I haven't played in months. Did have some pretty massive cities built, well run, across multiple islands. Trading had me riiiiich lol. Anyone play the expansion that came out recently?

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
haven't played the latest, but did recently do the couple preceeding ones. Would rather play patrician or tropico.

Zorander

Golden Member
Nov 3, 2010
haven't played the latest, but did recently do the couple preceeding ones. Would rather play patrician or tropico.
Haven't played Patrician but Tropico is a good game too and requires far less hours than Anno (suitable for those who wants a quicker, if less in-depth, gameplay).

Maximilian

Lifer
Feb 8, 2004
Have they patched out the horrible DRM yet or is it still riddled with it?

uPlay is still a requirement as well yeah?

Zorander

Golden Member
Nov 3, 2010
The DRM is still there but it has been patched so that you can play in offline mode should your internet access get cutoff.

KaOTiK

Lifer
Feb 5, 2001
Bah, shame that. Hope the next anno is a steamworks game.

Wont happen. Ubi owns the IP iirc. Also all Ubi games will require Uplay as well now. But the Uplay version they put in Steam versions is different then the standard Uplay client. Basically they remove the store from the Steam version of Uplay games.