Opinions needed: Non-compete agreement

Gooberlx2

Lifer
May 4, 2001
So I received an email with a non-compete agreement from an aquaculture company that has basically offered me a job without formally doing so.

The first section of the agreement gets right down to saying that I can't participate in any way (other than investing as a non-controlling shareholder) with another aquaculture related business for 2 years....anywhere in the world (though I'm not sure how that's enforcable if I chose to go work in say Timbuktu).

I don't know if this sounds standard to anyone else, but I kinda feel that since employment opportunities with anything related to aquatic biology (I'd like to be an aquarium manager/curator at some point...but aquaculture is good experience with aquatic/marine animal care) are so tight, that this something of a deal breaker for me.

...just wish I had other job offerings at the moment. ...Back to doing more internships I guess. :(

Jun 18, 2000
I had to sign a non-compete for this company. It's somewhat standard fare, but they don't always hold up in court if you bail to a competitor. Though, I can't imagine why I would, as I don't mind the work here.

Gooberlx2

Lifer
May 4, 2001
I guess I've just never had to deal with something like this...it kinda scares me since I know that the aquatic biology community is pretty tight (or atleast the aquarium/marine mammal community is)

...of course with the job market the way it is I certainly can't rule this out either....non-compete or not.

GasX

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
It boils down to this: Unless you go to a direct competitor and take either clients or corporate secret with you they have no say what you do. If they want to keep you from working from a company, they have to pay you...

gopunk

Lifer
Jul 7, 2001
a non-compete is only as good as the courts see it. that is, it's extremely doubtful a court will hold it up if you work for a company on the other side of the nation that doesn't really compete with this one. the courts will look at whether you can make a reasonable living with your skills. if the non-compete does not allow it, they will not hold it up.

PlatinumGold

Lifer
Aug 11, 2000
i've always been told a non compete will rarely trump a persons right to earn a livelihood.

but check with your a lawyer.