Opinions about the Leica D-Lux 10.1MP?

JMapleton

Diamond Member
Nov 19, 2008
I'm thinking about getting a digital camera. I don't need anything special, just regular photo taking I'm not a pro.

Is the Leica DLux a decent value? What's your opinions of it?

996GT2

Diamond Member
Jun 23, 2005
The D-Lux 4 is identical to the Panasonic LX3 but costs 2x as much. The only little difference is in the firmware of each camera. The hardware is the same, and image quality should also be the same if you shoot RAW or nearly identical if you shoot JPEG

The LX3 is well worth the money. It's one of the best pocketable cameras out there today.

JMapleton

Diamond Member
Nov 19, 2008
The D-Lux 4 is identical to the Panasonic LX3 but costs 2x as much. The only little difference is in the firmware of each camera. The hardware is the same, and image quality should also be the same if you shoot RAW or nearly identical if you shoot JPEG

The LX3 is well worth the money. It's one of the best pocketable cameras out there today.

Interesting! The more I read about the D-Lux, the more I think it's not a real Leica.

996GT2

Diamond Member
Jun 23, 2005
Interesting! The more I read about the D-Lux, the more I think it's not a real Leica.

Depends on your definition of a "real" Leica I guess. To me, the D-Lux 4 is basically a fancied-up and rebadged Lumix LX3. It doesn't really offer anything new since all the hardware is identical.

If you are looking for a high end point and shoot that will give you great image quality and lots of creative manual control options, the LX3 is it. The LX3 and Canon S90 are two of the best small cameras on the market today, and both cost only about 1/2 as much as the D-Lux 4.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
i bet i could sell my lx3 for more than i paid for it nearly a year and a half later. fantastic little camera. though i probably use my fs3 more (it actually fits in pocket)