Opinion on the Thermaltake Tsunami with 400w PS

PVD

Oct 31, 2004
Hey guys. I am building a new gaming rig this week. I was interested in this case with included PS for this system

AMD 3200+ 90nm Winchester (O/C to hopefully 2.4-2.5)
Asus Av8 rev2 motherboard
OCZ El Platinum rev2 1GB RAM
Leadtek Geforce 6800 GT
2 WD 10,000 rpm Raptors in RAID config

I read the reviews on Newegg and they are all positive. Supposedly it has good airflow and the case has plenty of room. I like the way it looks, and has 3 fans (2 120mm). Do you guys have any experience eith this case and the thermaltake PS??? Thanks

Mik3y

Banned
Mar 2, 2004
its fine, but the PSU is a piece of crap. thermaltake doesnt exactly make top notch products. you'll want to invest in a quieter, more powerful psu. i recommend the antec true 480W psu, though a quality 300W is plenty for your setup. :)

Toddo97

May 14, 2003
I'm in the same boat. I figure the case w/ psu is only about $15-$20 more so I'll probably get that and upgrade down the road if the performance/noise gets to be annoying

drpootums

Golden Member
Oct 22, 2004
I'm going to get that case too, but i'm going to get the TT 480watt Silent PurePower instead. They are still nice ps's though

norky

Dec 4, 2002
sucks that the door opens to the left. i don't get why companies do that. 99% of people have their boxes on their right.

Toddo97

May 14, 2003
I'm going to get that case too, but i'm going to get the TT 480watt Silent PurePower instead. They are still nice ps's though

You weren't able to pay a little more and upgrade from the standard to the Silent PurePower by any chance were you? I'd do that in a second

Tuzzi

Jun 20, 2002
I saw a Thermaltake Tsunami in a local shop. Its a nice case, but I think it looks a little cheap.

The fit & finish is nowhere near a Lian Li, or a good CooleMaster. Just my opinion.

Gamingphreek

Lifer
Mar 31, 2003
I personally do not like thermaltake products. They USED to be real good but then they went flashy over quality. I have heard there PSU's are alright. However EVERYTHING they make is N-O-I-S-Y.

-Kevin

gxshockwav

Jan 22, 2004
The bundled PS looks rather weak...i'd go with something better for your system, like an antec truepower or ocz powerstream.

If you were planning on getting the case w/psu, you might wanna get the non-windowed version instead 'cause the window isn't that great looking. I'm speaking as a tsunami owner myself.

Also. the 120mm fans are definitely louder than what is stated in the specifications.

xbassman

Golden Member
Feb 25, 2001
Agreed about the fans....
My son has the Sviking and the fans are really loud.

I would but the case without PS.
Replace the 2 120mm fans with Globe 120mm.
Install a better power supply. Seasonic SUPER TORNADO-400W is a good choice.
There are also very good units from Fortron Enermax and others.

drpootums

Golden Member
Oct 22, 2004
Originally posted by: Toddo97

You weren't able to pay a little more and upgrade from the standard to the Silent PurePower by any chance were you? I'd do that in a second

No, on newegg you can get the Tsunami for $125 and the TT 480watt for $55. I think they are pretty good deals.

Operandi

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
The case itself is rip-off of the Wavemaster without the quality. The PSU's are alright, but nothing special, more flash then power.

Looks like your going all out on everthing else, might as well not skimp on the case. Check out the Wavemaster and a Seasonic, Tagan, Zalman PSU.

PVD

Oct 31, 2004
hmm. Maybe I should just go with the Antec Sonata instead?? Or spend an extra $100 and go with the wavemaster with an expensive PS. What PS should I get if I go with the wavemaster?? Or should I just go with the Antec Sonata and the 380W True PS it comes with??

Operandi

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
The Sonata is good for the money but I wouldn't compare it to the WaveMaster or a Lian Li in the looks department. Since your already spending gobs of money I'd get the WaveMaster and a good 350-400watt PSU. PC power and Cooling, Seasonic, Tagan, Zalman, Enermax are my recommendations.

BTW, RAID arays don't really offer that much of a performance improvement.