Opinion on costs for a bump n' scuff?

Plehz

Feb 21, 2019
Sorry to bother everyone!

Recently I bumped into a car (my neighbors) for the very first time in my life. I reared into his rear. We are most likely going to settle this worth cash other than insurance..

I was wondering if anyone had an opinion or similar circumstances of what this may cost, what needs to be done exactly, etc? He works a lot so can't get it in for an estimate for a minute.. But I'm just trying to put a picture in my mind.

Thank you so much!20190221_181022.jpg20190221_181001.jpg

Attachments

• 20190221_180955.jpg
    20190221_180955.jpg
    891.9 KB · Views: 17
Feb 25, 2011
The popped out trim there will probably snap back into place. If the snaps are damaged, 2-part epoxy is a thing. Depending on how it's held on in the back, there may be some trim clips you need to replace - those are usually a couple bucks each at the dealership parts counter or you can get generics on eBay for cheap.

The scuffing will probably 90+% buff out when it's cleaned and polished. Get some rubbing compound at any auto parts store and give it a try.

A bumper repaint at a body shop would be $200-$400 probably.

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
No contest to what dave_the_nerd says. I've had a couple of these car encounters -- one front and one rear.

It's probably a good idea, if the bumpers no longer sit straight on the car, to remove them where they bolt on to the metal frame. If the vinyl isn't broken or shredded, they can be reinstalled after twisting them back into shape. You can paint them either on the car or before reinstallation.

After that, dave's remarks about bumper repainting are in the ballpark. But -- for a DIY-er -- there is an option. You'll need a roll of fresh masking tape and some newspapers. 32-gallon plastic bags are also a good item -- manageable in size as opposed to a need to cut or tear larger pieces of plastic drop-cloth.

Find your make and model at this web-site -- Paintscratch.com. They follow the manufacturer's paint-codes, including popular two-tone combinations. Choose your color, and then select the "Non-Metal Spray Paint Kit" for about $94. If you also need touchup paint for adjacent metal parts and your paint coverage requirement is less than that covered by the basecoat component of the kit, the same basecoat and primer can be used: it's the same paint.

The vinyl bumpers require an adhesion promoter -- part of the kit -- sprayed on after a fine-sanding and degreasing effort. Let the basecoat dry well before adding the clear-coat, or the clear-coat will dissolve the underlying basecoat. Don't use Rust-o-leum or other hardware store enamels, and stick with the Paintscratch acrylic enamel products. I recommend you wear a mask with filter if the area to be treated is larger than a single square foot.

WilliamM2

Platinum Member
Jun 14, 2012
Are those cracks in the paint? I had mine done twice in the last two years. Paint and labor was $600 each time, after the insurance company negotiated with them. It doesn't look like it needs a new bumper, but if it does, add another $400 to $500. Glad I didn't have to pay for mine either time.

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
If someone damaged my car (and they did), there is no way I would accept a DIY repair.
That all depends on the inclinations of both parties in the accident, and willingness to pay insurance deductibles.

If a person feels confident they can restore the vehicle to total pre-accident appearance and function, they should probably do it that way. If they can't or won't, then they should pay the piper and have a body shop do it.

What I see in those pictures is one bumper that needs some rubbing compound and elbow grease, and another bumper that maybe needs a socket wrench and a half-hour's time re-seating a vinyl bumper.

I've mentioned my own '95 Trooper enough in other threads. I bought it as "pre-owned" or used. It had 95,000 miles on the odometer, and I paid $20,000 less than the original owner. I did not arrange for full-comprehensive coverage in my insurance policy. Three years later, I was in a crowded bank parking lot, checked my mirrors, and started to back out of a parking space. I could only eyeball one mirror at once, and at that very moment, another customer opposite my parking space also backed out. I can't even remember if one or the other party was determined at fault, but I didn't file a claim on my own car. A body shop provided an estimate of $1,100 to fix a damaged tail-light lens and a crease on the corner of the left rear quarter-panel. I think I had $500 deductible as my policy terms.

I first repaired the tail-light lens with the three-color parts-shop kit of plastic rectangles for $10 and a $4 bottle of super-glue. I had to call someone's attention to the lens repair before they could notice it. I later replaced the lens with a $50 order from an online junkyard. It was as good as new.

The crease in the quarter-panel required a cheap $25 slide hammer, my drill and bits, a $10 can of BONDO, $5-worth of sandpaper, and $30 in paint from Paintscratch.com. Masking-tape and newspaper are off the radar of any cost-accounting.

Add in some proxy for my time, but it was leisure time and not an equivalent of paid time. Maybe it was 10 hours, but for someone who had done the same job several times, at most 3 hours. Then compare the approximate $140 I spent overall to the $1,100 estimate. Under those circumstances, it's difficult even to justify my insurance company paying a body-shop the latter price.

WilliamM2

Platinum Member
Jun 14, 2012
That all depends on the inclinations of both parties in the accident, and willingness to pay insurance deductibles.
He was talking about the damage he caused to his neighbors car. And to me, it looks like the paint is cracked. If I was his neighbor, I would not accept a DIY repair. It's hard enough to find a body shop that does a nice job, let alone suggestions that he fix it with a spray can.

Looks like a fairly new car, not some 25 year old car.

My car was hit while parked, just like above. I didn't have to pay anything. If I had, it falls under comprehensive, which is only a $100 deductible. It's not collision if the car is parked, and I'm not in it. That may vary by location.

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
He was talking about the damage he caused to his neighbors car. And to me, it looks like the paint is cracked. If I was his neighbor, I would not accept a DIY repair. It's hard enough to find a body shop that does a nice job, let alone suggestions that he fix it with a spray can.

Looks like a fairly new car, not some 25 year old car.

My car was hit while parked, just like above. I didn't have to pay anything. If I had, it falls under comprehensive, which is only a $100 deductible. It's not collision if the car is parked, and I'm not in it. That may vary by location.
Again, depends on which photo associates with the OP or his neighbor.

The first photo shows a dirty bumper of an older car or truck which can be reseated. It could also be cleaned up and treated with some rubbing compound.

The second photo appears to be a newer car in pristine shape except for barely-noticeable chicken-scratch marks to bumper-paint. It's not "cracked". If it were, then the owner's decision rules and wins. But from the photo, I see some marks that can be made to literally disappear with application of Turtle-Wax Rubbing Compound. It's about 15 minutes of work, or so I surmise. You'd spend a lot more time just washing and waxing the vehicle.

If the second vehicle belongs to the neighbor, I'd present him with a bottle of Turtle-Wax Rubbing Compound with a soft cotton cloth, and ask if I might polish out his little scrapes. If he's not satisfied, then go to the trouble and expense for employing a body-shop, and arrange the insurance claim(s).

Here's some additional observations. Vinyl bumpers can take a lot of punishment. Here, I wanted to insert a picture of a bumper scrape on my own car, which had considerable paint transfer -- white on metallic gray. I carried it around on my bumper for about five years after taking the photo. The other day, I spent some time with rubbing compound and eliminated it entirely. The bumper was restored to original factory-new luster. [I tried to upload photos, but there were delays and then an error message.] You cannot tell that the bumper had been scraped or paint transferred. I was planning to paint the bumper, but after use of the Turtle rubbing compound, it is a totally senseless idea. There is nothing to hide with additional paint.

Last edited:

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
All three pictures are of the same car. Look closer.
OK . . . parts of the same picture-attachment. To be honest, the lower portion with the tail-light has icicles on it from the weather. So I really can't tell if the color variation is due to ice, snow and road-salt, or a manifestation of damage. However, if it owes to the weather, that -- plus the scratches in the second close-up, might be totally repairable by adjusting the lower portion and using the rubbing compound I suggested. It could be an easy fix as much as I've seen of it.

It would be nothing to attempt these "repairs" before getting a claims adjuster involved. Everything is a matter of probability -- as dave_the_nerd implies in his observations. So there's a very good chance it doesn't need paint to restore the appearance before the accident.

He didn't say what make and model it is, nor do I recognize the bumper assembly. If it's a two-year-old Mercedes or Acura, you could swing either way on the decision -- still making the attempt with common tools and the Turtle Rubbing Compound. If it's a 10-year-old RAV4 or Hyundai, I can't see bothering with the claims adjuster.

Plehz

Feb 21, 2019
Thank you all for the information! All pictures are of my neighbors car.

Also i happen to be a female, not that that matters but I feel like my neighbor wouldn't appreciate an under-car-educated (especially female) trying to rub off his car. Based on communication with him he seems to think that every effort I'm trying to make with him is my boyfriend's idea (who ironically enough doesn't drive lol)

But yeah. He's getting quoted on Wednesday.. Im crossing my fingers it's not a lot because I've missed a lot of work dealing with an ectopic pregnancy.

Just sucks. It happens to everyone though, right.

To be honest though, from further away it doesn't look like much away. He even admitted that he wouldn't of noticed if i didn't leave a note on his vehicle.

But you know, you have to do what's right and suck it up. I'll update what the estimate he gives me is!

Also it's a ford focus.. Not sure the year though. Looks pretty new.

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
Thank you all for the information! All pictures are of my neighbors car.

Also i happen to be a female, not that that matters but I feel like my neighbor wouldn't appreciate an under-car-educated (especially female) trying to rub off his car. Based on communication with him he seems to think that every effort I'm trying to make with him is my boyfriend's idea (who ironically enough doesn't drive lol)

But yeah. He's getting quoted on Wednesday.. Im crossing my fingers it's not a lot because I've missed a lot of work dealing with an ectopic pregnancy.

Just sucks. It happens to everyone though, right.

To be honest though, from further away it doesn't look like much away. He even admitted that he wouldn't of noticed if i didn't leave a note on his vehicle.

But you know, you have to do what's right and suck it up. I'll update what the estimate he gives me is!

Also it's a ford focus.. Not sure the year though. Looks pretty new.

Of course -- as I suggested -- I might have taken a more aggressive approach to keeping the claims adjuster out of it. But I've done the same thing as you in past situations. Even so -- now that you've made a gender declaration -- I'm reminded of that scene in the Paul Newman film "Cool Hand Luke" depicting the car getting a shampoo bath and all the chain-gang prisoners ogling. But that girl wasn't pregnant, so . . .

Plehz

Feb 21, 2019
Haha well, im not pregnant anymore! The ectopic pregnancy unfortunately gets terminated immediately because it is unviable.. It's tubal, baby can't live and also if it keeps growing your tubes can rupture and bleed out to death. Everything is okay though!

Just sucks to bump into someone's car after all that but hey I'm alive to do it at least hahaha

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
Haha well, im not pregnant anymore! The ectopic pregnancy unfortunately gets terminated immediately because it is unviable.. It's tubal, baby can't live and also if it keeps growing your tubes can rupture and bleed out to death. Everything is okay though!

Just sucks to bump into someone's car after all that but hey I'm alive to do it at least hahaha
It was just my observation over many years that the body-shop and insurance racket is pretty lucrative. I don't begrudge the people who do that work their daily bread. But when I can spend $150 on parts and materials to pass a couple hours fixing something that would cost $1,100 between a body-shop and an insurance company, I hate to see all that money change hands. Most would say "It's not your money", but -- just the same . . . .

Plehz

Feb 21, 2019
So basically here's what he's saying:

Estimate is $700

But he doesn't mind leaving it as is and waiting for summer to see if there is structural damage so that the heat causes the bumper to expand.

If it doesn't expand, he wants to leave it as is at no cost to me..

But if it does expand then I'll be replacing the whole bumper.

Opinions?

Plehz

Feb 21, 2019
He sent me the quote now because i asked again, which is $681 , and at the bottom it is acting like he's using insurance... Deductible says 0, customer pays says 0 and then the insurance bracket says all of it. Im so confused.

MI is a no fault state but I recently moved here and am so confused lol.

If it says he has to pay 0.00 , no deductible and no customer fee..then what am i paying for?

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
I know it's cold in Michigan, but I cannot imagine how a vinyl bumper to expand in such a way as to change the way it can be fixed or the cost of having someone fix it.

I would consult with your own insurer. As I understand it -- something that could be challenged for inaccuracy -- his insurance company will bill your insurance company. Your insurance company will then add the bump-and-scuff to your accident record, which may in turn cause a slight increase in your prospective short-term premiums, until the record ages sufficiently.

Back in June, 2017, I was driving my brother's old Nissan pickup. I was juggling grocery errands and a visit to the nursing home where my Moms was getting physical therapy for a hip-replacement operation. I was also taking burgers to the nursing home for Moms. And having watched the news that morning, I was pissed off like I've been pissed off every morning since January of that year. I was leaving a Target store parking lot, backed out of my parking place, didn't feel anything, didn't hear anything, and left the parking lot.

Two months later, a policeman appeared on my doorstep. "Where were you at lunchtime of June 23rd?" I remembered the day because it was one of the more stressful days dealing with getting Moms returned home to us. He tells me I was involved in a "hit-and-run". I had no idea of any hit-and-run. He checked the rear bumper of my Bro's truck. No scratch; no dent. Eventually, I had my insurance company deny the claim. It went to arbitration. I and my insurer lost. My semi-annual premium went up $60 -- slated to disappear next year.

Whatever it was, it was really minor. I touched someone's bumper, but I don't recall touching someone's bumper. Maybe they wouldn't have filed a claim otherwise but for hearing me as I left Target making loud insinuations about wanting a re-make of the Zapruder film. Maybe they decided, for my touching them, they would reach out and touch me because they were touchy about the vocalization of my thoughts.

Either way, this should not be a major deal to you. If you can't fix the neighbor's bumper, and he doesn't want to fix it, it's settled -- the insurance companies will cover it.

S*** happens.

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2011
He sent me the quote now because i asked again, which is $681 , and at the bottom it is acting like he's using insurance... Deductible says 0, customer pays says 0 and then the insurance bracket says all of it. Im so confused.

MI is a no fault state but I recently moved here and am so confused lol.

If it says he has to pay 0.00 , no deductible and no customer fee..then what am i paying for?

One possibility is that it's just how the quote rang up. Or you're "insurance" (a third party payer.)

If it's a no-fault state, then just call up your insurance company, let them deal with it, and don't think about it anymore.

So basically here's what he's saying:

Estimate is $700

But he doesn't mind leaving it as is and waiting for summer to see if there is structural damage so that the heat causes the bumper to expand.

If it doesn't expand, he wants to leave it as is at no cost to me..

But if it does expand then I'll be replacing the whole bumper.

Opinions?

Sounds like he's trying to get a blank check for any other dumb shit he does this spring.

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
One possibility is that it's just how the quote rang up. Or you're "insurance" (a third party payer.)

If it's a no-fault state, then just call up your insurance company, let them deal with it, and don't think about it anymore.

Sounds like he's trying to get a blank check for any other dumb shit he does this spring.
That's always a possibility, but he's a neighbor, his car had minor damage, it might be that it's just not important enough to him to have it fixed now.

Even so, Plehz would be wise to take photos -- which she has done. Save the photos. Pull a "Comey-McCabe" and write notes to yourself. Date the notes. You could even share such notes with someone else, or even get them to witness them with a signature. Not legally a "notary", but I would think it's a reasonable safety measure.

I owned a condominium unit, and a leaky pipe caused damage to the unit below. The owner of that unit was a lawyer. My homeowner's insurance paid just so much for the damage, but the owner came back to me with receipts arguing that it was insufficient to cover the expense. He even threatened to sue. I deliberated, and then wrote him a check for the difference, which wasn't major damage.

Generally, regular people don't spend time in grifter schemes involving trivial damages to gouge their fellow men and women over chump-change.