Opinion on Billionaires trying to buy championships?

prontospyder

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Let's take Portland's Paul Allen for example:

For this upcoming NBA season, his salary payroll will be $85 Million ($30 Million over Cap). That means he'll have to pay an additional $30 Million in Luxury Tax...that's like the entire value of Phil Jackson's 5 year contract with the Lakers!

Other culprits include the Maverick's Mark Cuban and Miami's Micky Arison.

How do you guys feel?

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
sort of related, but not really - free agency sucks!

NakaNaka

Diamond Member
Aug 29, 2000
And your a laker fan ...

Im for Salary Cap in Baseball and I don't like it when people buy team (but Im a New York Ranger fan)

Lakers have Shaq and Kobe and the best coach in the league. They will be pretty damn close to max in a year or two.

snow

Banned
Oct 9, 1999
Whatever. If they have the duckets let them spend it. They won't be able to stop the Lakers. Personally, I'm annoyed at Jerry Buss' frugality in regard to the tax but I don't see a clearly better team in the league.

Cuban's Mavs will always suck no matter how much jack he throws at them. No amount of money is going to convince the Blazers that they are not the losers and chokers that they are. The Heat will lose to the Knicks.

goog40

Diamond Member
Mar 16, 2000
Yankees suck! How many of their good players were brought up in their own organization, two?

SUOrangeman

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
Why do Billions attempt to buy championships? Because it makes them richer!!!!

While I won't try to quote accurate numbers, but let's say the average owner takes home 50% of what the team makes. Now, you take a team like the Lakers with big money players, ... how much do you think the owners making?!?!?! It is obscene and players' salaries pale in comparison.

-SUO

prontospyder

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
You're right...here's what Cuban had to say:

"The Mavs have been down for so long, financially it's worth it to do whatever I can to get us into the playoffs," Cuban says. "Season-ticket sales, advertising sales and sponsors all will increase more than I could spend on players."

http://espn.go.com/nba/columns/stein/724064.html