Operation Safe Return. We need more of this.

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
Which has nothing to do with exploiting xenophobia & white nationalism. Not in the slightest. That's Trump's thing. He played it from the time he announced his candidacy. If you need to lie to yourself you should keep it to yourself if you don't want people to tell you what you're doing.

What are they (Congress as a whole) doing to fix the Border, Immigration Laws and the massive influx of illegal immigrants?

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
Which has nothing to do with exploiting xenophobia & white nationalism. Not in the slightest. That's Trump's thing. He played it from the time he announced his candidacy. If you need to lie to yourself you should keep it to yourself if you don't want people to tell you what you're doing.

I didn't say anything about xenophobia & white nationalism. That is your one trick pony for everything.

What is congress doing to fix our border? Be specific.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
If that "comprehensive immigration reform" entailed path to citizenship with no (or basically no) penalties then I'm glad they blocked it. We cannot allow those who broke our immigration laws to be rewarded for it, period full stop. The price to allow them to stay after breaking our laws needs to be significant and done in a way that's a very, very public demonstration that will deter others from doing the same in the future.

We took their labor for decades and didn't say boo about that. I and many many other people are willing to call it even.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
I didn't say anything about xenophobia & white nationalism. That is your one trick pony for everything.

What is congress doing to fix our border? Be specific.

K1052 offered that Trump & the GOP pander to xenophobia & white supremacy in #10 of this thread. You quoted him in #39 & gave it the old both sides routine.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
You're so cute when you do that self righteous snit thing. They'll be staying in any event unless Trump & the haters get the massive immigration Gestapo force they've always dreamed of. You can't solve the problem by wishing we could get rid of them, because we won't. Face up to reality.

you know how ammosexuals (almost universally conservatives) like to argue that you simply can't "poof away all the guns!" yet they seriously do believe that you can just get rid of all illegal immigrants in the country...somehow, in their gestapo brains, "getting rid of people" is far easier, and certainly more noble, then getting rid of non-sentient metal murder toys.

weird brains those conservatives have.

Reactions: DarthKyrie

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Here are the last two attempts at serious immigration reform:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comprehensive_Immigration_Reform_Act_of_2007

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bor...ty,_and_Immigration_Modernization_Act_of_2013

Both were killed by Republicans. Now if you disagree surely you can show similar bills that were killed by the Democrats. Can you?

Or is this another case where you disagree but the reasons why are a secret? Haha.

Tribal emotion has nothing to do with higher brain functions, like reason. It's all about the feelz & the fear. He & millions of others have been manipulated at an emotional level.

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
you know how ammosexuals (almost universally conservatives) like to argue that you simply can't "poof away all the guns!" yet they seriously do believe that you can just get rid of all illegal immigrants in the country...somehow, in their gestapo brains, "getting rid of people" is far easier, and certainly more noble, then getting rid of non-sentient metal murder toys.

I don’t need to poof away all the illegals, I know we won’t get them all but the more the better. Every deportation is a good thing to be appreciated.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Mar 11, 2004

Well they need the murder toys to poof away the non-whites. That's absolutely where their minds are. I hope people are understanding this, because if not, we're probably less than 5 years away from genocide happening in America.

You won't make a dent in it. You'll just terrorize otherwise productive & law abiding people as I pointed out in this thread which you abandoned-

https://forums.anandtech.com/thread...s-hermitage-home.2567861/page-2#post-39879481

He doesn't care. He knows it won't accomplish anything that he claims it would. Frankly, I think this is more Conservative Abstinence. They're essentially saying, you need to get these people out for their own protection to keep us right wingers from murdering them.

brandonbull

Diamond Member
May 3, 2005
Conservative Republicans have scuttled every attempt at bipartisan immigration reform for at least the last decade plus.

For some of them there is too much political value in not fixing the problem, others want to shape the demography of the country for electoral and racial reasons. This latter group has only grown with Trump now that nativism and white nationalism have been mainstreamed by a far right party. I think the prospects for bipartisan immigration reform are worse now than probably any point in my lifetime.

The Democrats have owed the country immigration reform since the mid '80's. Isn't that the deal they made with Ronnie Raygun?

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
The Democrats have owed the country immigration reform since the mid '80's. Isn't that the deal they made with Ronnie Raygun?
Ah no. Try reading the above posts with the links to bi-partisan legislation that was killed by teahadists.. If you can actually read.

DarthKyrie

Golden Member
Jul 11, 2016

The Demonrats and some in the Reichwing have tried and it has been killed by the Reichwingers in the House and Senate twice in the last 15 years, once under GWB and once under Obama. See post #54 for the info you want.

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
If that "comprehensive immigration reform" entailed path to citizenship with no (or basically no) penalties then I'm glad they blocked it. We cannot allow those who broke our immigration laws to be rewarded for it, period full stop. The price to allow them to stay after breaking our laws needs to be significant and done in a way that's a very, very public demonstration that will deter others from doing the same in the future.

God forbid you actually educate yourself on the topic!

Lets see how much you actually care about the issue: SB13 from 2013.

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
God forbid you actually educate yourself on the topic!

Lets see how much you actually care about the issue: SB13 from 2013.

"Up to" $2k in penalties/fees in the 2013 bill is a trivial sum and not nearly enough restitution for those who broke our immigration laws. Those who immigrated legally paid way more than that. Sorry, but any "comprehensive immigration bill" needs to include significantly large penalties for those who came/stayed here illegally. At a bare minimum the penalties for each and every illegal immigrant for a "comprehensive immigration bill" to even be considered would need to be: (A) no citizenship, ever - you can have a permanent resident card, but citizenship is always and forever reserved for those who come legally, and (B) monetary penalties per illegal immigrant to be no less than the median costs for a family to complete the legal immigration process, and those funds would be made available to those legal immigrants still struggling with beginning their lives in the U.S.

No "free" amnesty for illegals. Not now, not ever.

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
'Democrats have done nothing about immigration except attempt multiple times to put forth plans which I won't agree with because a Democrat put it forward!'

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
"Up to" $2k in penalties/fees in the 2013 bill is a trivial sum and not nearly enough restitution for those who broke our immigration laws. Those who immigrated legally paid way more than that. Sorry, but any "comprehensive immigration bill" needs to include significantly large penalties for those who came/stayed here illegally. At a bare minimum the penalties for each and every illegal immigrant for a "comprehensive immigration bill" to even be considered would need to be: (A) no citizenship, ever - you can have a permanent resident card, but citizenship is always and forever reserved for those who come legally, and (B) monetary penalties per illegal immigrant to be no less than the median costs for a family to complete the legal immigration process, and those funds would be made available to those legal immigrants still struggling with beginning their lives in the U.S.

No "free" amnesty for illegals. Not now, not ever.

As if long term undocumented workers haven't paid some heavy dues to stay in this country. As if your goal isn't to just perpetuate the problem to have something to get all self righteous over. You don't give a fuck about what kind of problems you perpetuate for American communities where undocumented people have settled. I doubt that's where you live, at all, but you'd force your POV on the rest of us as if you have the vaguest idea of what you're talking about.

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
As if long term undocumented workers haven't paid some heavy dues to stay in this country. As if your goal isn't to just perpetuate the problem to have something to get all self righteous over. You don't give a fuck about what kind of problems you perpetuate for American communities where undocumented people have settled. I doubt that's where you live, at all, but you'd force your POV on the rest of us as if you have the vaguest idea of what you're talking about.

@Jhhnn "Oh haven't they suffered enough already?" (bleeding heart dripping all over the floor)

No. They can feel free to go back from where they came if they don't want to pay their dues for breaking our laws and screwing over those who came via legal means.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
@Jhhnn "Oh haven't they suffered enough already?" (bleeding heart dripping all over the floor)

No. They can feel free to go back from where they came if they don't want to pay their dues for breaking our laws and screwing over those who came via legal means.

Why should decent hard working people who've lived peaceably among us for over a decade need to suffer at all? The unforgivable crime of having come here illegally long ago? Get the fuck over yourself.

I haven't quite figured out how they're screwing people who came here legally, either, but I'm sure it makes sense in a mind filled with irrational hatred.