Question Opening torrent on qbittorent causes it to hang (not responding) until download has completed

Goi

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Hi guys,

I've recently had the problem where opening torrent files in qbittorent causes it to hang (not responding). Sometimes, it goes back to normal after the entire download has completed, but other times, it remains unresponsive. I'm unable to add any other torrents while that single torrent is downloading, but I can see the torrent is downloading as the file is there, and network usage for qbittorrent in task manager goes up. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling, and downgrading the the next older version (4.3.0) but the behaviour persists. Google didn't show any such behaviour from anyone else.

Any ideas why?

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
I once had something similar happen to a different p2p app when I had a dead drive, or maybe it was a phantom drive listed in Windows. It's been a while, the p2p app kept trying to poll it or something.

Do you have any user setting that persist after uninstall, in its folder or in the registry? I assume this is windows?

Anyway I'd look at whether there are any oddities in Device Manager, even a floppy controller with no drive (disable it), check what's listed in Disk Management, and use something like HDSentinel (or manufacturer specific utilities) to check drive health.

I'd also wonder if your network connection is dropping, or a bad or loose SATA cable if SATA, though I'd expect you would notice this in more ways than just a p2p client. If all else fails, try a different p2p app.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
I use qbittorrent on debian, and on the secretary's win10 machine at work. No problems. Been using it >10 years now. I'd try a complete purge of qbittorrent including registry entries and config folders(as aluded by mindless1), and reinstall.

Goi

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
I use qbittorrent on debian, and on the secretary's win10 machine at work. No problems. Been using it >10 years now. I'd try a complete purge of qbittorrent including registry entries and config folders(as aluded by mindless1), and reinstall.
Yup I was thinking of doing that. Besides manually searching for qbittorrent related entries within the registries, are there any other tools that can do a complete purge?

Was also thinking of installing it in a VM as a last resort.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
You could try ccleaner. It's not a tool I use or recommend to run on autopilot, but it can be useful for finding stuff in the nooks and crannies of the system, then selectively deleting them.