OpenGL Inspector (FRAPS equivalent) for OSX

Discussion in 'All Things Apple' started by mhenr18, Jul 4, 2012.

1. mhenr18

mhenr18 Junior Member

While reading Anand's review of the rMBP I noticed the comment about the lack of a FRAPS equivalent for OSX. So, I did what any uni student with a 4 week holiday would do and got to work on one (after emailing Anand about it).

Right now I've only got the benchmarking side of things working (I'm about to get working on video recording) but I figured I'd share my work in progress.

[​IMG]

This video shows a demo of a slightly older build where you had to authenticate every time you tried to sample a process, however now the authentication is done at launch (there's two dialogs, one for the 32 bit daemon and one for the 64 bit daemon). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGZ4ZRRV3GQ

Download (64-bit, Lion only):
    http://mhenr18.com/gl/OpenGL Inspector.app.zip

2. Loading...

Similar Threads - OpenGL Inspector (FRAPS Forum Date
    OS X and OpenGL 4.2 All Things Apple Nov 7, 2011
    Dock web inspector by default? (Safari) All Things Apple Jul 22, 2011
    Why does running FRAPS video capture slow down game so much? All Things Apple Jun 28, 2011
    OpenGL 3 and Mac All Things Apple Dec 20, 2008

3. TheStu

TheStu Moderator<br>Mobile Devices & Gadgets

Looks good, excellent initiative. Frankly, i don't have much use for it (I say that now, but I will find a reason to use this for nerd bragging rights), but it looks straightforward and easy enough to use.

Keep us posted, what did Anand say?

4. mhenr18

mhenr18 Junior Member

Here's the email trail up to his response about my first demo video:

I haven't gotten any response yet from him about this build. To be honest I think the major appeal will be once I get recording working - as you can see in the demo video QuickTime's recording destroys my Mac's performance and in early builds I've had recording working at 60fps with a much lower CPU usage.

5. TheStu

TheStu Moderator<br>Mobile Devices & Gadgets

Also, welcome to the forums, stay out of Off Topic for a while, well, stay out of Off Topic, Politics & News and Love & Relationships. For ever. Don't ever go there.

6. mhenr18

mhenr18 Junior Member

Haha, I've been in my fair share of forums over the years so I should be fine. Thanks :)

7. ViRGE

ViRGE Elite Member, Moderator Emeritus

You've managed to impress The Boss. That's a very difficult thing to accomplish!:eek: Nice work.

8. Aikouka

Aikouka Lifer

If you can make it not crash the application if you alt-tab while recording, you've got a leg up on FRAPS. :p Was doing a bit of recording in Diablo III, and F9 was also bound to the achievement button. I had the overlay turned off, and started recording. I ALT-TAB'd, and when I tried to re-enter Diablo III, it crashed. :(

Chances are that's a DirectX issue, but that actually brings up an interesting idea for a feature that I don't think FRAPS has: always show overlay while recording. The overlay isn't always the prettiest thing to see on your screen, so I turn it off from time to time (also annoying that it takes so many presses of F12 to turn it off), but if I had it on while recording, I would notice when I'm actually recording (the numbers turn red).

9. dawks

dawks Diamond Member

Good job man! Really cool.. I'll be playing with this for sure.

10. mhenr18

mhenr18 Junior Member

I've decided to rename it to GLIT (GL Injection Tool) to more closely reflect what it actually does. Also, here's a screenshot of the new UI that I'm using:

[​IMG]

11. Aikouka

Aikouka Lifer

The new name is a typo off of becoming rather racy! :eek:

12. mhenr18

mhenr18 Junior Member

Any ideas for something else?

13. ViRGE

ViRGE Elite Member, Moderator Emeritus

Eh, the name is fine.

14. Aikouka

Aikouka Lifer

Well, if you told me that you made a "GL Injection Tool", I would personally not have any idea of what you're talking about. I would probably assume that it was some sort of hacking tool not a FRAPS-like application. I know that I like making app names with acronyms in them... it's probably more fun than creating the actual program! However, sometimes it's easier to understand a program if the name is more explicit.

FRAPS has it a bit easier since the name has become a bit synonymous with game recording (at least in the nerdier circles). I mean... how often do you hear people use it as a verb? :p

15. supermariofan25

supermariofan25 Junior Member

The Download link isn't working anymore :/

16. Syrome

Syrome Member

Looks pretty slick I must say. Keep working on it and hopefully everything will come together nicely for you.