Openelec + chromebox, works on one tv but not the other

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
So this is weird. I just got my chromebox setup to run openelec as a standalone OS. I set everything up on my main tv (1080p) and then transported it to another tv and I get no video. The tv that's not working is only 720p and I did change the resolution (in the UI at least) to 720p.

I know the system still works because I can connect to it with my phone remote app.
I had a similar setup but with a raspberry pi running raspbmc and I set it up the same way (using the 1080p tv first) and I didn't have any issues.

What could I be doing wrong?

Oh, and this asus chromebox+openelec rocks! Plenty of power for uncompressed bluray+5.1, web browsing using chromium runs great as well.

poofyhairguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2005
Might be a handshake issue. Unplug the box. Turn off the TV. Turn on the tv. Plug in the box, then turn it on.

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
Might be a handshake issue. Unplug the box. Turn off the TV. Turn on the tv. Plug in the box, then turn it on.

Nothing:(

I tried booting with the Hdmi unplugged and waiting a minute and then plugging it in and still nothing.

Any other suggestions?

Yuriman

Diamond Member
Jun 25, 2004
You might try Chrome Remote Desktop once it's plugged in, to change settings until it works.

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
You might try Chrome Remote Desktop once it's plugged in, to change settings until it works.

Do I need to be using a certain web interface to access the settings? Right now I'm using the default web interface and I don't see any options.

whoiswes

Oct 4, 2002
Not sure if you've tried it, but have you switched out HDMI cables? I spent a few days debugging something similar and it turned out to be a bad cable (brand new out of the bag, but still bad).

Also, if you have Redmere cables, try a standard one.

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
Not sure if you've tried it, but have you switched out HDMI cables? I spent a few days debugging something similar and it turned out to be a bad cable (brand new out of the bag, but still bad).

Also, if you have Redmere cables, try a standard one.

Yeah, I've tried two different cables (different brand and quality).

poofyhairguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2005
Try doing my reset strategy, but change turn off the TV to unplug the TV.

Have you tried the other HDMI ports? Someones on a TV they do weird things to one of the HDMI ports.

Yuriman

Diamond Member
Jun 25, 2004
After you've installed the app, launch it on the Chromebox and hit the button labeled "enable remote connections". It will download something, and then you'll be able to open the app on any other computer when you're signed in with your Google account and use your Chromebox remotely.

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
After you've installed the app, launch it on the Chromebox and hit the button labeled "enable remote connections". It will download something, and then you'll be able to open the app on any other computer when you're signed in with your Google account and use your Chromebox remotely.

My chromebox no longer has the chrome OS on it, will this work with openelec and chromium (open source chrome browser)?

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
Never mind, I just looked into it, Remote Desktop is not compatible with the chromium browser.

Back to square one.

poofyhairguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2005
Is this is only HDMI device you have that won't play ball with that TV? Would you happen to have a HDMI switch to run it through as an experiment? Really sounds like a handshake issue to me, I don't know another reason why that would happen.

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
Is this is only HDMI device you have that won't play ball with that TV? Would you happen to have a HDMI switch to run it through as an experiment? Really sounds like a handshake issue to me, I don't know another reason why that would happen.

I have one other tv I could try. The tv it did work on was connected through a receiver. I can try connecting directly to that tv as well.

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
I have a raspberry pi that I installed openelec on and the raspberry pi had issues as well. If I unplug/plug in the hdmi cable the screen comes up. This same raspberry pi works perfect with this tv when using raspbmc so it definitely seems like a handshake, or OS issue. Is there a fix?

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
I think I've got it figured out, finally!

When using openelec on either the rpi2 or the chromebox I wouldn't get any display to come up, it turns out that I had enabled "blank other displays" and for some reason with that enabled no picture would show up. I turned the setting off on both devices and now I've got a picture:D

I'll be doing some further testing but so far everything seems to be working fine.