Open Source Community: I need your help

UnixFreak

Platinum Member
Nov 27, 2000
I started working on a page today, Linux Help Page That is basically a help page for new linux/unix users. I am going to try to include information on several distributions, as well as kernel information. I also want to offer some info for advanced users. I need some input, on what you guys think I should include.
so far Ideas I have:

[*] Absolute Begginers help [/li]
[*] Installation help [/li]
[*] Dual boot setup [/li]
[*] info on distributions [/li]
[*] Kernel work [/li]
[*] Tips and tricks [/li]
[*] Networking [/li]
[*] Connecting with PPP [/li]
[*] Cable/DSL setup [/li]
[*] Samba setup [/li]
[*] Apache Setup [/li]
[*] IP forwarding [/li]

any other ideas would help. I would also like to have an articles section, where we could give tips, tricky setup info, reviews, etc. You would recieve credit for everything you contribute. I would like to make this site a successful contribution to our community within a year. I would like to get a good foundation set up before I even start to advertise it, I figure it will be a few months. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Like the open source revolution itself, I figure if a bunch of us work together, we can make this great, and help thousands of people get started using these great platforms. Thanks to all who want to help

Tiger

Platinum Member
Oct 9, 1999
Looks good to me but you may be in direct competition with Linuxnewbie.org.
You might add some distro specific sections because RH ain't Debian ain't Slack.
It's gotten to the point that none of them have the same directory structure anymore and specific help is needed.

UnixFreak

Platinum Member
Nov 27, 2000
yeah, you are right on that. I dont really want to "compete" with anyone, this isnt for profit, but that is a good tip, as I have seen sites, and even books, that refer to linux in general, and mislead you (wait, that directory isnt even there! WTF!) So I will keep that in mind. I need to design a structure that is easy to navigate, so a debian user can just dive on in to what he needs, and a red hat user can, etc.. thanks.