Open marriages?

Dood

Aug 16, 2001
Any opinions on open marriages? Anyone know a couple who is in a successful open marriage?

Orsorum

Lifer
Dec 26, 2001

<< Any opinions on open marriages? Anyone know a couple who is in a successful open marriage? >>

Not a one.

iamwiz82

Lifer
Jan 10, 2001
i dont see how that could be successful, unless both parties were seriously screwed up in the head. We are talking about TONS of abuse suffered by both sides. At least, that my humble opinion.

Dood

Aug 16, 2001

The reason I axe is that I just found out that some old friends of mine are in this type of relationship. They seem more in love than anyone I've ever seen. And they're not like "swingers" in the way I think of swingers. But they just agree to let each other see other people. Kinda freaked me out cause I have never known any "arrangement" like this, let alone a marriage.

HappyPuppy

Lifer
Apr 5, 2001
Why get married if you are going to mutually agree to both continue screwing and becoming emotionally involved with other people?

Dood

Aug 16, 2001
I don't think there is any emotion, unless it comes from below the belt.

wnied

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Open Marriage = Relationship where both parties partake in other lovers while married.

The only couple I knew who did, this ended up divorced.

Not my bag personally. If I ever decide to slide on the ring, it will be with the knowledge my wife and I are deeply in love and MONOGAMOUS.

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Sure fire disaster. L knew a few couples that tried it and it was disasterous. Speaking from a man's perspective, why in hell would any guy want to deal with more than one women at a time? One is often more than enough (and always more than a handful) It's ok if you are single and can tell the gal to hit the road, but if you tell that to your wife it's like saying "Please take my house, car and kids and oh by the way, can you please make my life a living hell?"

Jfur

Diamond Member
Jul 9, 2001
A close friend of mine did that. He was in a Ph.D. program at Santa Cruz. His gf decided she wanted to get more serious with one of her partners and left him. Then he seriously flipped out :( I mean really, really lost it. He left school and wandered around the country. I still don't know if he's ok :( I'm not saying the open relationship caused that, but the issue with his gf was the major catalyst for his freak out.

I personally would not be into such a thing. It just opens the door for all sorts of problems. I don't normally think of myself as the jealous type, but I think alliances and preferences would form, and the uncertainty would lead to instabilities.