open ended fantasy rpg?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Ultralight

Jul 11, 2004
+1 Morrowind. The world is quite large in size especially with the add-ons. Just make sure you take your time in not only exploration but the massive amount of mods avaliable and some of those are quite superb.

:thumbsup: on Gothic 1 and Gothic 2 + Expansion. Cerrtainly non-linear in many aspects, great story lines and you will be forced to make some moral (or amoral) choices that affects gameplay. I am so glad I bought/discovered these several years after they were released because these are RPG gems.

make sure you start with G1 because it will make G2 so much better.

As for Gothic 3 wait until community Patch 1.7 is released which will be soon or you'll have a bug-infested nightmare (though 1,6 takes care of a lot of tthe issues). Just google JoWood forums and check out the English Boards.

Via

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2009
God$%^ fu%^ son of a ^&( c^&* mother &^^&*).

I just checked it out and you're right - patch 1.7 is worth waiting for.

I'm going to have to abandon my game for like the 5th time.

son of a f%^& bi^&*.

Ultralight

Jul 11, 2004
Originally posted by: Via
God$%^ fu%^ son of a ^&( c^&* mother &^^&*).

I just checked it out and you're right - patch 1.7 is worth waiting for.

I'm going to have to abandon my game for like the 5th time.

son of a f%^& bi^&*.

JoWood has lost any semblance of quality control which is reflective of their recent history of releasing games that couldn't even pass as beta. Not only is this true of Gothic 3's release as a bug ridden monstrosity but the fact that they didn't address 100s of issues via patch. It took the Gothic community to repair and patch their game.

And then there is the stand-alone Gothic 3: Foresaken Gods... we'll not go there which amounts to a train wreck of a game.

jonks

Lifer
Feb 7, 2005
Originally posted by: Kalmah
You might want to keep a lookout for 'Dragon Age' that Bioware is making. (they made the Baldurs Gate games)
It's suppose to have 6 or 7 different 'origins' that you can choose from that completely alter the game.
6 or 7 playthroughs x number of character classes x different ways of playing those options = win?

I think my nerd cred jumped about 250% this week, I bought the DA: Origins prequel novel *blush*

s44

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 2006
Originally posted by: jonks
You might want to keep a lookout for 'Dragon Age' that Bioware is making. (they made the Baldurs Gate games)
It's suppose to have 6 or 7 different 'origins' that you can choose from that completely alter the game.
6 or 7 playthroughs x number of character classes x different ways of playing those options = win?

I think my nerd cred jumped about 250% this week, I bought the DA: Origins prequel novel *blush*
Oh hell, this is out already?

jonks

Lifer
Feb 7, 2005
Originally posted by: s44
Originally posted by: jonks

Oh hell, this is out already?

http://www.amazon.com/Dragon-A...d-Gaider/dp/0765324083

Game to follow later this year, unless delayed.

sherwinz28

Feb 7, 2008
Drakensang: the dark eye

Make sure you give it a couple hours at least. First hour I was about to shelve it but once I got the amazon and started exploring and fighting I really enjoyed it. Supposedly ~80 hour game.

ja1484

Platinum Member
Dec 31, 2007
Playing Witcher: EE right now, and it's a prime example of how to almost make a classic. The pacing is a hair slow, not as tight as, say, Knights of the Old Republic (which, for my money, was the best paced RPG ever), but the game makes up for it by putting you in a lot of situations you haven't been in before in an rpg.

For example, the game mixes dialog trees with actions and attitudes. You might need to get some information from a guy, but it's not just a matter of picking the right response. You need the right response, AND you need to bribe him the right amount, or offer him his favorite drink. The game doesn't tell you this though. It simply offers an icon for bribery or gift giving if it's applicable to this NPC. It doesn't spoonfeed you when, what, or how much.

On top of all that, if you pissed the guy off earlier, he may still not give you what you seek. All these interplaying options make wheedling information out of dialog almost like a puzzle mini-game.

In most RPGs, plot points are still open even after you do the "wrong" thing with a character because the story needs to be pushed along. Not here. Often, if you slam shut a door, it's shut for good until you do a replay. The best part - just like in real life, you commonly don't realize your mistake until after the fact, when there's nothing to be done about it. The game gives you the results you play, not the results you're trying to engineer. It's really impressive in that regard, and it feels much more like being swept up in something (i.e. a real world unfolding around you) than most "OMG U R A GAWD!" RPGs.

Zenoth

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2005
Also, you could give Dark Messiah a try, it's an FPS at heart but it has many RPG elements, it was a sleeper hit for me, I really liked it, and it's fantasy-based.

bobsmith1492

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2004
Another vote here for Morrowind. You can play for days without even figuring out HOW to finish the main quest even if you wanted to! Plus it takes a couple of hours just to run across the whole map. It's huge.

BladeVenom

Lifer
Jun 2, 2005
Originally posted by: nosfe
i don't think he'll like Civ and Total War games, based on what games he said he likes/dislikes i'd say those would be way to slow for him

But they can provide long play times. Also add Galactic Civilization 2 to that list. Those are the games I spent the most time on.

nosfe

Aug 8, 2007
i'm not saying those are bad games, i love TBS games, it's just that most people don't like those sort of games, not to mention that he asked for RPGs and those aren't

you2

Diamond Member
Apr 2, 2002
Yea. This was a fun game. Unfortunately it is very short.

Originally posted by: Zenoth
Also, you could give Dark Messiah a try, it's an FPS at heart but it has many RPG elements, it was a sleeper hit for me, I really liked it, and it's fantasy-based.