after a short chase. An officer informed me the man had just
carjacked someone a short while earlier and I just prevented myself
from becoming another victim.

More and more responsible citizens are arming themselves for
protection. It appears to be putting a dent in the plans of would-be
robbers.

People should not be afraid of the person who is properly carrying a
handgun; they need to be defensive against the individuals who use
them in the wrong manner. I will not be a victim.

Doug Hall
Hampton
(Taken from vcdl.org)

I've always wanted open carry in Texas. I mean, I realize that it's disadvantageous compared to concealed carry in pretty much every way (except for comfort and speed,) but still, it'd be nice to just wear a belt holster with a tshirt on a hot Texas day. Good on this guy, and good on Virginia. :thumbsup:

Rainsford

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001
Originally posted by: Nebor
From VCDL's newsletter (vcdl.org):

Letter to the Editor
Daily Press - Newport News, VA
Armed for safety
November 21, 2007

I have seen many good letters to the Daily Press regarding gun
control. I have to share an experience that may change the minds of
naysayers.

On a recent evening after dark I was in the driveway placing license
plates on my wife's vehicle when a young male approached me. Due to
his demeanor I was intimidated somewhat. He became much more
aggressive, demanding a cell phone, and I told him I did not have a
phone and stood up. When he spotted my Glock .40 pistol in a holster
on my right hip, he mumbled something and started to leave very
quickly.

After I called the Hampton Police, he was captured two blocks away

robbers.

Doug Hall
Hampton
(Taken from vcdl.org)

I've always wanted open carry in Texas. I mean, I realize that it's disadvantageous compared to concealed carry in pretty much every way (except for comfort and speed,) but still, it'd be nice to just wear a belt holster with a tshirt on a hot Texas day. Good on this guy, and good on Virginia. :thumbsup:

And notice how he managed to stop a crime without having to shoot anybody? Sounds like you folks in Texas could learn a thing or two ;)

Seriously though, I actually think this is a good demonstration of why open carry is advantageous to concealed carry. Remember, the idea is to DETER crime, not shoot criminals, and if a criminal SEES you carrying, chances are pretty good he's not going to go after you. Of course you still need concealed carry so the criminal can't pick out who ISN'T armed...but open carry has some excellent deterrence advantages.

And as you said, it also has some comfort advantages. If I had to wear clothes to conceal a weapon in the summer in Texas, I'd probably end up using the gun on MYSELF. Hell, I can barely stand Texas heat wearing a tshirt and shorts. Personally I think the Texas climate explains a lot about your love for guns down there, if I lived in Texas, I'd feel like shooting some people too :D

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
Originally posted by: Rainsford

Letter to the Editor
Armed for safety
November 21, 2007

naysayers.

quickly.

robbers.

Doug Hall
Hampton
(Taken from vcdl.org)

And notice how he managed to stop a crime without having to shoot anybody? Sounds like you folks in Texas could learn a thing or two ;)

Seriously though, I actually think this is a good demonstration of why open carry is advantageous to concealed carry. Remember, the idea is to DETER crime, not shoot criminals, and if a criminal SEES you carrying, chances are pretty good he's not going to go after you. Of course you still need concealed carry so the criminal can't pick out who ISN'T armed...but open carry has some excellent deterrence advantages.

And as you said, it also has some comfort advantages. If I had to wear clothes to conceal a weapon in the summer in Texas, I'd probably end up using the gun on MYSELF. Hell, I can barely stand Texas heat wearing a tshirt and shorts. Personally I think the Texas climate explains a lot about your love for guns down there, if I lived in Texas, I'd feel like shooting some people too :D

Of course, if say, you were open carrying in a bank when it got knocked over, you'd likely be boned if the robbers were at all discreet. You'd be the first one shot.

I think about these things since banks get robbed just about every day in the Dallas-Ft. Worth area. I'm always at terror alert level orange in there. ;)

KB

Diamond Member
Nov 8, 1999

Letter to the Editor
Armed for safety
November 21, 2007

naysayers.

quickly.

robbers.

Doug Hall
Hampton
(Taken from vcdl.org)

Of course, if say, you were open carrying in a bank when it got knocked over, you'd likely be boned if the robbers were at all discreet. You'd be the first one shot.

I think about these things since banks get robbed just about every day in the Dallas-Ft. Worth area. I'm always at terror alert level orange in there. ;)

You're right ,you would probably be the first target; however if every bank patron was open-carry the bank wouldn't get robbed at all.

Open carry would be nice as if everyone was armed; hopefully they would be more respectful of each other. It will never happen in Maryland though.

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
Originally posted by: KB

Letter to the Editor
Armed for safety
November 21, 2007

naysayers.

quickly.

robbers.

Doug Hall
Hampton
(Taken from vcdl.org)

You're right ,you would probably be the first target; however if every bank patron was open-carry the bank wouldn't get robbed at all.

Open carry would be nice as if everyone was armed; hopefully they would be more respectful of each other. It will never happen in Maryland though.

Looks like open carry is ok with a permit in Maryland. Lots of open carry stories from MD here: http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum28/

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002

Letter to the Editor
Armed for safety
November 21, 2007

naysayers.

quickly.

robbers.

Doug Hall
Hampton
(Taken from vcdl.org)

Or they dont rob the bank. People who are looking to rob dont look to murder people.

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
Originally posted by: Genx87

Letter to the Editor
Armed for safety
November 21, 2007

naysayers.

quickly.

robbers.

Doug Hall
Hampton
(Taken from vcdl.org)

Or they dont rob the bank. People who are looking to rob dont look to murder people.

I'd rather not count on a criminals conscience to ensure my safety.

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
I'm surprised you don't have open carry in TX and elsewhere.

I thought you were safe on Constitutional grounds, at least North Carolina sees it that way. But we need a permit for concealed.

The only potential problem here is a charge/offence of "going armed to the terror of the public". But I suppose you have to do something (i.e., be threatening etc) other than just have a holstered weapon to get taht charge.

The arctitech in the office above me walks around with a holstered glock all the time.

Fern

palehorse

Lifer
Dec 21, 2005
When I was selling my truck on Craig's List, I openly carried my Sig every time someone came to look at it - even though I normally carry it concealed. Since I was placing myself in a precarious situation that is known to be a little dangerous, I wanted them to know right away that I was protected. Luckily, I didn't need it, and nobody drove off right away after seeing it... ya never know though! Most of them even understood exactly why I was wearing it and hardly gave it a second glance!

I'm very grateful for my 2nd Amendment rights.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Originally posted by: palehorse74
When I was selling my truck on Craig's List, I openly carried my Sig every time someone came to look at it - even though I normally carry it concealed. Since I was placing myself in a precarious situation that is known to be a little dangerous, I wanted them to know right away that I was protected. Luckily, I didn't need it, and nobody drove off right away after seeing it... ya never know though! Most of them even understood exactly why I was wearing it and hardly gave it a second glance!

And had any of them been criminals, they could easily have had the element of surprise and gotten a truck and a gun, instead of just a truck.

palehorse

Lifer
Dec 21, 2005
Originally posted by: Craig234

And had any of them been criminals, they could easily have had the element of surprise and gotten a truck and a gun, instead of just a truck.
Studies indicate that most criminals tend to go after the easy mark. Why would they bother taking a chance when they realize I had a gun and most likely knew how to use it - I know how to stand with it away from them at all times, never getting too close, etc. I also have a military baring that I can somewhat display/disguise at will...

In other words, I'm not an easy mark, and very few criminals would take the chance.

RightIsWrong

Diamond Member
Apr 29, 2005
I remember reading how there was 0% crime in the old west when people were openly carrying everywhere they went. Oh wait.... :roll:

The idea that someone who truly wants to commit a crime is going to be deterred by everyone carrying a weapon is a stupid fantasy that was proven false daily in the mid to late 1800s. The desire or desperation that drives someone to that point is not going to be curbed because you think you are Wyatt Earp. For every Wyatt there was a Jesse James, Billy the Kidd, etc., etc.

We need to address the problem at the root and that is by enacting fairer economic policies and better educating the population instead of making it so that the rich get richer and they are the only ones that can afford a quality education.

Rainsford

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001

Were you meeting them in south east DC or something? Perhaps I missed something, but selling a truck on Craigs List doesn't seem like a very dangerous situation. The percentage of criminals browsing the Internet looking for trucks to steal seems like it probably isn't worth worrying about.

palehorse

Lifer
Dec 21, 2005

Were you meeting them in south east DC or something? Perhaps I missed something, but selling a truck on Craigs List doesn't seem like a very dangerous situation. The percentage of criminals browsing the Internet looking for trucks to steal seems like it probably isn't worth worrying about.
maybe you should look into it a little bit more before commenting. There have been several carjackings and robberies related to items on Craig's List. There has also been at least one recorded rape and murder.

Needless to say, I'm always carrying anyway. I simply chose to do so openly when I had people come to see my truck.

whatever the case, :thumbsup: to the man in the OP who scared off the would-be carjacker!

Rainsford

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001

maybe you should look into it a little bit more before commenting. There have been several carjackings and robberies related to items on Craig's List. There has also been at least one recorded rape and murder.

Needless to say, I'm always carrying anyway. I simply chose to do so openly when I had people come to see my truck.

whatever the case, :thumbsup: to the man in the OP who scared off the would-be carjacker!

Easy there, chief, I SAID perhaps I'm missing something. I figured you had a reason, but since I couldn't see what that might be, I figured I'd ask. Could we possibly have a civilization around here?

outriding

Diamond Member
Feb 20, 2002

Why would you put yourself in that situation where you would need to use a gun?

There are other ways to sell your truck that are much safer.. to the point where you would not need to carry a gun.

palehorse

Lifer
Dec 21, 2005

Easy there, chief, I SAID perhaps I'm missing something. I figured you had a reason, but since I couldn't see what that might be, I figured I'd ask. Could we possibly have a civilization around here?
my bad.. sorry... I responded with too much of the hostility usually required around here! LOL!

But yes, I had my reasons.

As for southeast DC, unfortunately, the only ones with handguns down there are the criminals... DOH!

hopefully the USSC will fix that soon!

palehorse

Lifer
Dec 21, 2005
Originally posted by: outriding
LOL! I've asked myself that question a thousand times since I first joined the Army at 17...

There are other ways to sell your truck that are much safer.. to the point where you would not need to carry a gun.
No need. my solution worked just as well, and I sold my damn truck! and hey, check it out: I carried my gun every time, and nobody ended up shot! imagine that!

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003

First of all, I always need to carry a gun.

Second, why would you let the possible actions of criminals change your behavior, and cost you money by deterring you from the best way to sell your car?

Having sold a car for cash before, I can tell you it's a sketchy situation where you're really worrying about getting jacked, especially with the people you're dealing with.

daveymark

Lifer
Sep 15, 2003
Originally posted by: RightIsWrong
I remember reading how there was 0% crime in the old west when people were openly carrying everywhere they went. Oh wait.... :roll:

please provide link/proof to any advocate of open gun carry who states that crime would be reduced to 0%

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
Originally posted by: daveymark
Originally posted by: RightIsWrong

please provide link/proof to any advocate of open gun carry who states that crime would be reduced to 0%

Or that everyone carried guns in the old west.

manowar821

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2007
mmm... I'd rather conceal so that the criminal comes after me, instead of a less prepared, unarmed civilian... It also lets me surprise the assailant, allowing me a better opening for a citizens arrest. If he sees the gun before confronting me, he'll just move on to someone else. If the criminal sees my weapon and leaves, gets away, and never gets caught, he's just going to pick a less intimidating victim.

rchiu

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2002

First of all, I always need to carry a gun.

Second, why would you let the possible actions of criminals change your behavior, and cost you money by deterring you from the best way to sell your car?

Having sold a car for cash before, I can tell you it's a sketchy situation where you're really worrying about getting jacked, especially with the people you're dealing with.

Seriously, you may wanna consult with therapist about you and your guns. I love my kids to death but even I get annoyed if they are around me 24/7.

I don't own a gun but I enjoy going to shooting range once a while and I know how to handle a gun. The reason I don't own a gun is not because I am afraid to protect myself. The reason is that I know if I take out a gun, I'll have to use it and the result is gonna be one dead person, either me or the other guy. I would rather change my behavior and take precaution rather than take a life or risk my own. Maybe I am stupid for valuing human life, my own or others, but that's just what I believe in.

Plus I also believe that no matter how many guns you own, if you always put yourself in bad situation, no gun is gonna help protect you. I don't own a gun, I take care where I go and who I deal with, and I am glad to say both me and my family are safe and sound.