Open Box P II 940

baddog60

Apr 1, 2009
I just purchased an Open Box Phenom II 940 from the Egg. Does anyone have any experience with Open Box CPUs? Is this more likely from a noob that didn't have the right bios or is it a reject from an overclocking fan disappointed with his results?

Also, what are the chances that it actually comes with the HSF?

Thanks for any input.

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
It doesn't really matter. The HSF is worth what, $20 ? And you got it for $137 ? It is 100% warranteed. And you saved over $60 ?

bryanW1995

Lifer
May 22, 2007
I've never bought an open box cpu, but I have bought a lot of other open box items there over the years. They've included high end mobos, high end video cards, etc, and I've been satisfied with all of them.

Zap

Elite Member
Oct 13, 1999
All the above and none of the above.

Seriously.

What you can expect from an Open Box is... the item. HSF is an accessory, so it may or may not come with it (most likely "may" if it is a retail box). CPU may be great, or may be junk. Just make sure you thoroughly test the CPU because you only have 15 days from invoice date to RMA it (with a 15% restocking fee).

SunnyD

Belgian Waffler
Jan 2, 2001
www.neftastic.com
You likely get the same thing as you would find on FS/FT (incidentally where I picked up my 940). It'll either work, or it won't. As far as overclocking goes, realize that every single system is different, so don't expect anything other than stock speeds, and be pleasantly surprised if you get somewhere with it.

Worst case scenario is someone messed the CPU up pretty good, in which if you do your due diligence (same as you would with any thing you'd buy out of FS/FT), you'll find out in short order and be able to return the CPU for a refund.

Rifter

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I would expect it to OC below average as its likely it was returned because it didnt OC well. On the other hand it could have been returned for a completly unrelated to OCing reason. Only one way to find out.

baddog60

Apr 1, 2009
Thanks guys. I have been looking for a 920 or 940 for a while but have been waiting for the right combo deal. When I saw the 940 for $144 including shipping I had to jump.

I will be expecting nothing more than a functioning chip; however, I will try to stretch its legs at least a little.

Fox5

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2005
Most open box items are returned due to buyer remorse (ie, nothing) or because they didn't overclock as well as expected. Don't expect the 940 to overclock well if it's open box, be pleasantly surprised if it is.

OCGuy

Lifer
Jul 12, 2000
I know they are giving you a discount and all, but they should at least close the box for you. No wonder companies are going out of business....

Idontcare

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999
You just got to hope it was test driven in a kind and gentle way, not an overly abusive "let's see if I can hear it scream when I shove 2.2V at it" way.

What can suck about open-box is not the DOA aspects, those are easy to deal with and the 15 rma policy is there for you, but rather the dead-in-6 months prospects which can happen if your chip was used for some suicide-run benches on LN2 before getting shoved in a box and sent back to the egg.

We need a CPUFax, like Carfax, for these things :laugh:

james1701

Golden Member
Sep 14, 2007
I wonder how hard it would be for intel or amd to put some kind of register in cpu's that would just record the highest voltage put into them. Kind of like the red line on tachometer on race cars.

baddog60

Apr 1, 2009
Thanks for the input everyone. I won't be receiving it until Monday. I will probably install it and kick the tires a little on Monday night; then, leave it running prime95 at stock while I am at work.

IDC- I wonder if AMD would actually make me show them the receipt for this if something did happen down the road. Would they know that this is Open Box? Never mind, that would not be ethical.

Idontcare

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: baddog60
IDC- I wonder if AMD would actually make me show them the receipt for this if something did happen down the road. Would they know that this is Open Box? Never mind, that would not be ethical.

If it died on you within the warranty period (does open-box carry full retail warranty? It might not) and you had not done anything to it that would have voided your warranty (lapped the IHS, OC'ed it, etc) then you would most certainly be entitled to reciprocation per the warranty. Nothing unethical about it.

baddog60

Apr 1, 2009
Here is what I got. The processor was repackage in the original box. The clear plastic casing was lose and the processor must have bounced around during shipping. It had several bent pins on three sides. It did come with the HSF; however, it had been wiped clean of the thermal compound (not a big deal, was not even expecting to get the HSF). I was very bummed out as I was at least hoping to try it out.

I chatted with the Egg and of course they offered me a refund. I asked if I could try and straighten out the pins and they said it would be at my own risk. I was a little disappointed because I was not going to be able to replace it at any where near the same cost. I ended up letting my adventurous side get the best of me. I straightened out a paper clip and used it almost like floss to try to get the pins back in line.

Bottom line is that it actually works and I have a rock stable PII running at 3.6 GHz with an AC Freezer 64 Pro. Needless to say, I was nervous for a while but am now quite happy.

soonerproud

Golden Member
Jun 30, 2007
Glad it worked out for you. I have always been on the cautious side when it comes to "open box" items and avoid them unless I am willing to risk or lose the money in question. You can get great deals, but you can also run into those nightmares.