BOMB BOMB BOMB BOMB BOMB BOMB
Iran
Qatar
Venezuela
Russia

The funny thing is Brazil has outsmarted all of us in the 70s. Their cars run 100% on ethanol from corn so this doesn't effect them at all.

They learned their lesson the first time around unlike us.

Or we can start using electric cars and trucks and use more Solar!

eelw

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 1999
What prevents nations that produce oil to sell domestically at huge discounts? Unfortunately Canada needs to sell its crude rather than keep it for domestic use. But the US has the power to give the middle finger to OPEC.

Reactions: pcgeek11

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
The necessary withdrawal of Russian influence from various places in the world has created some opportunities. Why fly halfway across the globe to cozy up to backstabbing murderous dictators when we've got some right here in our own back yard who might be somewhat less backstabby. As a bonus improving economic conditions in Venezuela would have a positive impact on migration out of the country.

The Europeans would probably want to get in on this too.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
The funny thing is Brazil has outsmarted all of us in the 70s. Their cars run 100% on ethanol from corn so this doesn't effect them at all.

They learned their lesson the first time around unlike us.

Or we can start using electric cars and trucks and use more Solar!

Uh, their public buses run on ethanol. Not their cars.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Also the effective cut is probably more like 1M bpd since they already were not meeting the quota.

manly

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
Just more evidence that MbS is no friend of ours.

i had to look it up, currently 73% of all cars are ethanol, 92% of all new cars sold run on ethanol. not quite 100%
Also, I believe they don't use corn which is one of the least efficient plants for making biofuels. IIRC they use sugar cane. Our use of corn to make ethanol is just a massive subsidy for big agriculture when there are much better plants to make biofuels.

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
Just more evidence that MbS is no friend of ours.

Also, I believe they don't use corn which is one of the least efficient plants for making biofuels. IIRC they use sugar cane. Our use of corn to make ethanol is just a massive subsidy for big agriculture when there are much better plants to make biofuels.
Yeah but how many of those grow in Iowa?

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
Mohamed bin Bonesaw getting vindictive at Biden again, while throwing some cash to his buddy Putin. How dare the West care about journalists getting dismembered while I gloat at them.

Dictators gotta stick together, they're a dying breed. If it helps the one in America oooze back into the Oval Office, all the better.

Biden should wear the MBS and Putin hate like a medal. The House of Sa'ud can follow Russia into irrelevance for all I care, this world needs absolute monarchs like it does theocracies.

manly

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
Yeah but how many of those grow in Iowa?
I don't know, but my point is it's obviously a political racket rather than an economic/scientific decision to promote corn at the federal level to produce our ethanol.

Seems to me that switchgrass (about 4x as energy efficient as corn) could grow in portions of the Great Plains:
https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy...d-crop-prices-20-30/?comments=1&post=40671614

And the article that explains why corn is literally the dumbest choice available to produce ethanol:

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Cancel the sale of the PAC-3 system to KSA. The Poles will show up at Raytheon the next day with a check.
Either they reverse course or we cut off parts and service for their Air Force.
Promise progressively less favorable decisions from there.

This is our leverage. If Biden pussies out of using arms sales to Saudi Arabia and other OPEC countries as a tool, that will be a terrible decision.

Reactions: hal2kilo and iRONic

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
Cancel the sale of the PAC-3 system to KSA. The Poles will show up at Raytheon the next day with a check.

Damn straight. The Air Force bit was what I was hoping for. They've invested so much into it, great time to tell them hey turns out we've got other priorities for our exports and services too. Go figure.

Right when Russian hardware has been exposed as inferior and when the West has no shortage of customers waiting in line. Hey maybe Israel can help you guys with supporting all those F-15s haha

Indus

Diamond Member
May 11, 2002
Fuck all of them. Can't wait until the entire carbon energy industry is obsolete.

I'm pretty sure UAE and maybe Qatar voted for us.. they have a LOT of investments in Europe and America and would rather not lose them to sanctions. Also they're dependent on western weapons.

But probably overruled as a whole by the cartel.

uclaLabrat

Diamond Member
Aug 2, 2007
Damn straight. The Air Force bit was what I was hoping for. They've invested so much into it, great time to tell them hey turns out we've got other priorities for our exports and services too. Go figure.

Right when Russian hardware has been exposed as inferior and when the West has no shortage of customers waiting in line. Hey maybe Israel can help you guys with supporting all those F-15s haha
Can always buy from china since russian arms production is going to be curtailed for the foreseeable future 🤣

Pens1566

Lifer
Oct 11, 2005

This ^. We've got a whole new market to sell arms to in Europe (thanks Vlad). If the Iranian uprising continues we may not need to prop up and defend the KSA much longer. In fact, if you get a little creative/lucky with your foreign policy in revolutionized/western/open Iran ... that really makes things interesting.

Aside from the environmental benefits of getting off the KSA teat, watching them backslide into economic oblivion would be a very close second.

gothuevos

Golden Member
Jul 28, 2010
What's stopping us from ramping up production at home? Didn't we pass out a bunch of drilling permits last year?

For those worried about the environment, I'm sure we'd do a much safer/regulated job producing here than whatever standards Venezuela has in place (if any).