[OOS] ASRock X370 TaiChi AM4 ATX mobo *OPEN-BOX* $125.99 + ship @ Newegg (compare to $209.99 new) (10 SATA6G ports)

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001

Ideal for an AM4 unraid server.

May I also recommend 64GB (2x32GB) DDR4-3000/3200 RAM kits from OLOy to go with?

I haven't checked if there is a Ryuzen 3000-series BIOS yet for this board.

Edit: Yes, there is a 6.00 (beta) UEFI with AGESA ComboPI-1.0.0.4 patch B available. Don't forget to flash "bridge BIOS" 3.30 before flashing the newer ones, if below 3.30.

Last edited:

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
supports all the way up to 3950X

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Bump, why are these still available, one day later? Either not much interest (at $85 off new list???), or they actually have a decent supply of these, rather than onesies and twosies, which probably means, that this is a liquidation of their existing stock of these, being sold as open-box, so that they don't have to warranty them past 30-90 days or whatnot.

That's what I'm hoping, anyways. I don't recall any wide-spread issues with these board that would explain a large number of open-box ones otherwise.

13Gigatons

Diamond Member
Apr 19, 2005
The 300-series was rushed to market if I recall...had some bugs. The 400-series is a better bet...plus Store MI is free with the 400-series plus 2nd gen Zen. The ten Sata ports is good for server duty but this is kinda expensive for building a server with only 30 day warranty.

Just guessing though.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Are there cheaper more-or-less "mainstream" desktop or home server boards with 10 SATA6G ports on the board?

13Gigatons

Diamond Member
Apr 19, 2005
Are there cheaper more-or-less "mainstream" desktop or home server boards with 10 SATA6G ports on the board?

No but hard drives are getting bigger and you post those deals all the time :) ....so maybe ten hard drives aren't required for most users anymore. Just four drives with 14TB space is a pretty BIG server for most users.

Also I think NASes are currently in vogue. Some users will go that route.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
No but hard drives are getting bigger and you post those deals all the time :) ....so maybe ten hard drives aren't required for most users anymore. Just four drives with 14TB space is a pretty BIG server for most users.

True, but the "beauty" of unRAID, is that you can start with two (large) drives, and expand when you want, how you want. You don't need to use identical pairs or quads of drives, like an ordinary RAID-5/6 or RAID-1/10 arrangement in a NAS.

That said, take a gander over at this thread, I link and describe Asustor's newest NAS, a 10-bay monster with dual Intel 10GbE-T, dual RealTek 2.5GbE-T, and dual PCI-E M.2 NVMe slots. Judging by introductory Euro pricing, probably around $1100-1200 USD, I guesstimate.

I also have a parts-list for the unRAID/FreeNAS build using this motherboard in this deal thread.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
so maybe ten hard drives aren't required for most users anymore. Just four drives with 14TB space is a pretty BIG server for most users.

I don't mean to offend you, because I respect you, but ... those comments make me think that "you don't know the NAS user crowd", at least, not the "ServeTheHome"-type crowd, people like our own Red Squirrel with rack-mounted gear. Some of those guys have PB or by now, maybe even EB of data.

Sure, some people just want something simple, to use as a network backup destination, and maybe share a few photos with friends. I get that, I do that too.

But some people are insatiable users of storage space, and even the bigger drives, well, gotta have more of them. Hence why I predict that new Asustor "Lockerstor 10" to be a BIG seller, especially with the dual Intel 10GbE-T and dual M.2 NVMe slots. (VM station, here we come. Even has an HDMI output.)

I kind of fit in-between. I want to make backups of my optical disk collection, and have space for my Linux ISOs and whatnot, along with my personal crap and system backups. I don't really have an insatiable need for storage space, I don't download a heck of a lot anymore. Most anything you want is available streaming these days anyways, or on YT.

I do believe, that you (royal You), outgrow your storage needs over time, and thus, with NAS, it can pay in the long run, to "go big or go home". Thus whichever route that you choose ("Lockerstor 10", or X370 TaiChi / FD R6), ten drive bays plus an M.2 or other SSD connection, is a NICE option to have.

Edit: Oh, and just a comment, single-drive bay "NAS" units are for clueless Noobs. (Yes, I was one once, I had some single-drive NAS units to start off with). But most people at least want some reliability, which generally means, redundancy, so 2-bay NAS unit in a RAID-1 mirror, minimum. Yes, that means that you have to purchase TWICE the storage space that you'll actually need, and lose a bunch due to decimal-to-binary conversion, and formatting. Boo-hoo. "Proper" NAS is NOT CHEAP. Though, some options are more expensive than others. (You pay for "Cute"-ness.)

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Apparently, reading some forums and Reddit, these particular boards ARE popular with unRAID server builds (for obvious reasons, the 10x SATA ports), and as well, with the newest 6.00 (beta) BIOS, with AGESA 1.0.0.4 patch B, and a 3000-series Ryzen CPU, they have apparently fixed the GPU pass-through issues, at least with NVidia cards.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
OOS. Finally. Wish I could have bought more than one, but I'm on a budget. Can't wait to put it into my Norco 4020 case, and a nice 750 80Plus Gold Antec PSU (plenty of modular SATA leads), and fill it with drives. Should be fun!