Oops I forgot I was playing Furmark!

Kenmitch

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
EDITED....Gonna sound pretty damn dumb ass on my part. The whole problem turned out to be cpu vtt needed a voltage bump of .025v guess the 5850 was sucking a little too much juice out of the MB. Guess maybe that's why the upper end evga boards have a 4pin molex connector by upper slot. :)

Anyways testing the card at 1025 core 1300 memory currently and looking good with full cpu overclock also.

HD&

END EDIT

Well I was doing some trouble shooting and was running the Furmark stability test to see if it was my card or maybe my windows install causing the problem. I'm now thinking the problem is the power supply just can't hang under the extreme load. Can pretty much run anything but if do something like Furmark stability test when CPU and GPU overclocked it will stop responding after a couple of minutes. Sometimes if I end it and try a second time the system will reboot. So what I did was downclocked my CPU to pretty much stock speed and decided to try Furmark stability test again. Well needless to say I got side tracked and kinda forgot about it. Was kinda surprised when I calculated how long it was running....Thank god for water cooling :)

950_1300.png

Gonna have to do some more trouble shooting I guess. Might play around with the cards overclocking. Was doing this running at 1000 core also but didn't think to drop the CPU speed at the time for testing....Hmm

EDIT
Downloaded the most current version of Furnmark and tested again.
Full system overclock and bumping the GPU up to 1000/1300 1.265v I shut down Furmark stress test at a little over 15min. Hmm....Trying at 1015/1300 currently
Power supply is pumping out some heat so I put a couple of small books under the back legs of case for xtra airflow just in case.

Last edited:

Kenmitch

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
your VDDC Current seems low for 950MHz, are you giving the GPU enough volts?

It only needs 1.1875v to do 950mhz. I think the stability test makes the VDDC current fluctuate with GPU load. You can kinda see it if you look at the graph next to voltage. Guess it's just a matter of what's on the screen when captured.

Got my HAF 932 yesterday. Gonna take the system down so trying to figure out if problem is power supply or not. Might just rma my mb also as the second bios is defective.

Meghan54

Lifer
Oct 18, 2009
If the sig'd setup is the setup you're talking about, I doubt that Corsair 750TX isn't being stressed at all, even with your i5 750 and your 5850 OC'd.

I seriously doubt you're pulling anywhere near 60A on the +12V rail which is the rated output for your power supply on the +12V rail.

Kenmitch

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
If the sig'd setup is the setup you're talking about, I doubt that Corsair 750TX isn't being stressed at all, even with your i5 750 and your 5850 OC'd.

I seriously doubt you're pulling anywhere near 60A on the +12V rail which is the rated output for your power supply on the +12V rail.

I figured 750w was plenty....But wondering if maybe power supply is maybe defective. Seemed fine untill I got my waterblock for the 5850 installed then when I started to play(I'll call it) furmark stability test to find my max overclock for my video card I ran into this problem. Card is stable at 1020/1300 around 1.250v after taxing the system for a while to check the temps I started to get the furmark crashes random reboots etc. So just put card back to specs in sig.

Now yesterday morning I started to trouble shoot some more. Downclocked CPU to stock and started furmark stress test to see if it crashed. Never crashed so I doubt it has anything to do with video card overclock. I think 40 minutes would rule out the card and power to the card at least. This am bumped up the CPU overclock somewhat but only to 3.8ghz under single/dual core load and made a longer furmark run than the picture above. Only thing I can think if s not enough power or a flakey power supply.

evolucion8

Platinum Member
Jun 17, 2005
I experienced the same exact issue, it never ocurred if I had a fan blowing straight on the power supply. Seems that the load was so high that it increased the power supply temperature considerably, lowering the power efficiency and affecting its performance triggering a shut down. I simply moved some hard drives to another Sata power connectors and it fixed the issue. Balancing the 12V connectors sharing equally the devices across the rails helped me. Try it.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I experienced the same exact issue, it never ocurred if I had a fan blowing straight on the power supply. Seems that the load was so high that it increased the power supply temperature considerably, lowering the power efficiency and affecting its performance triggering a shut down. I simply moved some hard drives to another Sata power connectors and it fixed the issue. Balancing the 12V connectors sharing equally the devices across the rails helped me. Try it.

I thought the PSU in question was a single-rail PSU?

faxon

Platinum Member
May 23, 2008
yea the one in question is single rail, so it wouldnt matter where what is plugged in

Kenmitch

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999

I guess maybe it could be heat power supply bottom mounted fan facing down in the case. Could maybe unbolt it and prop it up for better airflow to see. Single rail so cable swapping won't do anything.

Kenmitch

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
2404 seconds? thats 40 minutes...

Yep....That's why I said I was playing furmark forgot it was running still.

I wouldn't suggest trying it on stock cooler tho. Seems like the heatkiller water block lives up to it's name tho. Temps look'd great considering it's furmark.

This VDDC current in photo is how many amps the card is pulling? Just wondering as if I remember correctly furmark will push into the 60's at times.

Last edited:

MagickMan

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2008
GPU-Z claims that my 5850 is pulling 56-60A at 975/1300, which is my regular gaming OC now. That doesn't seem too far off.

bunnyfubbles

Lifer
Sep 3, 2001
GPU-Z claims that my 5850 is pulling 56-60A at 975/1300, which is my regular gaming OC now. That doesn't seem too far off.

thats roughly what my 5850 + GPU-Z 0.4.2 reports as well...

now while he does have a 5870 his VDDC Current seems low, even if that screen shot is of a minimum spike.

Kenmitch

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
thats roughly what my 5850 + GPU-Z 0.4.2 reports as well...

now while he does have a 5870 his VDDC Current seems low, even if that screen shot is of a minimum spike.

My card is a 5850 also. I'm gonna try some more testing later tonight once I get my daughter settled down and to sleep. Still kinda leaning towards flakey power supply.

taltamir

Lifer
Mar 21, 2004
why would 40 minutes of furmark be worse for your PC then 40 minutes of playing an intensive game? you should be able to do this for years non stop with no problem.

evolucion8

Platinum Member
Jun 17, 2005
I thought the PSU in question was a single-rail PSU?

It is single rail, isn't? Mine isn't.

I guess maybe it could be heat power supply bottom mounted fan facing down in the case. Could maybe unbolt it and prop it up for better airflow to see. Single rail so cable swapping won't do anything.

My power supply is at the bottom of the case but the fan is in upside position, but the audio card is so close to the fan intake that probably is stagnating the fan with the lack of air. My power supply is multi rail, so swapping cables might help.

Kenmitch

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
It is single rail, isn't? Mine isn't.

My power supply is at the bottom of the case but the fan is in upside position, but the audio card is so close to the fan intake that probably is stagnating the fan with the lack of air. My power supply is multi rail, so swapping cables might help.

Mine is single rail. Bottom mount and fan pointing down. Pumps some heat when fully loaded.

Fix'd the problem tho....Turns out just needed to adjust the cpu vtt voltage up by .025v and I'm currently testing out the card at 1025 core 1300 memory without any issues at all. I overclocked my cpu and thoroughly tested it long before I started to play around with the video card at such high overclock's....Needed to get a water block before I could go above the specs stated in my sig. Those damn v-regs get pretty hot with the stock cooler!

evolucion8

Platinum Member
Jun 17, 2005
Mine is single rail. Bottom mount and fan pointing down. Pumps some heat when fully loaded.

Fix'd the problem tho....Turns out just needed to adjust the cpu vtt voltage up by .025v and I'm currently testing out the card at 1025 core 1300 memory without any issues at all. I overclocked my cpu and thoroughly tested it long before I started to play around with the video card at such high overclock's....Needed to get a water block before I could go above the specs stated in my sig. Those damn v-regs get pretty hot with the stock cooler!

Great, but you should put the fan pointing up, you are suffocating your Power Supply. The hotter it gets, the lower the power output will be.

Kenmitch

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Great, but you should put the fan pointing up, you are suffocating your Power Supply. The hotter it gets, the lower the power output will be.

The HAF 922 has pretty good vents under the power supply. When I switch to the HAF 932 I picked up it will have even better airflow. Just gotta do a little mod to the PS tray it sit's on. If I flip it the other way around it'll kinda look dorky I think :)