Oops, I did it again! - FBI director Wray threatened to resign amid Trump, Sessions pressure

FIVR

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2016
That good boy Trump can't help himself! He's gonna fire himself another FBI director before the his new one has even picked out his office chair.

https://www.axios.com/scoop-1516661397-877adb3e-5f8d-44a1-8a2f-d4f0894ca6a7.html

Scoop: FBI director threatened to resign amid Trump, Sessions pressure

Attorney General Jeff Sessions — at the public urging of President Donald Trump — has been pressuring FBI Director Christopher Wray to fire Deputy Director Andrew McCabe, but Wray threatened to resign if McCabe was removed, according to three sources with direct knowledge.

• Wray's resignation under those circumstances would have created a media firestorm. The White House — understandably gun-shy after the Comey debacle — didn’t want that scene, so McCabe remains.
  • Sessions told White House Counsel Don McGahn about how upset Wray was about the pressure on him to fire McCabe, and McGahn told Sessions this issue wasn’t worth losing the FBI Director over, according to a source familiar with the situation.
  • Why it matters: Trump started his presidency by pressuring one FBI Director (before canning him), and then began pressuring another (this time wanting his deputy canned). This much meddling with the FBI for this long is not normal.

Sunburn74

Diamond Member
Oct 5, 2009

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
The information I have is that the pressure to remove McCabe is coming from Sessions and there is no proof that it's Trump driving him or him trying independently to get into Trump's good graces. It's irrelevant really however since Trump already should be impeached. The willful attempt to destroy the integrity of the FBI and its senior officials is treasonous and dangerously destructive for the country. Trump's job was to make America great again. He has destroyed American's confidence in itself and confidence in America around the world. We should be impeaching the disaster. Thanks to the filthy moral degeneracy of so many Americans we elected a white supremacist fascist to be our president. The conservative brain defect has succeeded in ruining the nation.

FIVR

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2016
I still can't figure out if Andrew McCabe is still deputy director of the FBI. There were a bunch of news articles in Decembers saying he was resigning, but his wikipedia page says he's still acting deputy director and according to the article above -if he is fired - Wray will quit and Trump will have to find a 3rd FBI director.

I have to say, if this news is true then I was wrong about Wray being the ultimate Trump shill. He appears to be doing the right thing in threatening to quit. I also find it quite interesting that Trump has an ability to push these news stories out about resignations at the FBI without the approval of the FBI agents involved.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
I still can't figure out if Andrew McCabe is still deputy director of the FBI. There were a bunch of news articles in Decembers saying he was resigning, but his wikipedia page says he's still acting deputy director and according to the article above -if he is fired - Wray will quit and Trump will have to find a 3rd FBI director.

I have to say, if this news is true then I was wrong about Wray being the ultimate Trump shill. He appears to be doing the right thing in threatening to quit. I also find it quite interesting that Trump has an ability to push these news stories out about resignations at the FBI without the approval of the FBI agents involved.

There has been some scuttlebutt that McCabe intends to retire in 2018 when he becomes eligible for full pension benefits. The truth of it remains to be seen.

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
Note how this news comes out at the same time as news of Sessions being interviewed by Mueller.

Reactions: cytg111

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
Looks like he got really close, later, but Barr threatened to quit.

Inside Trump’s push to oust his own FBI chief - POLITICO

A former Trump White House official said Trump “had always flirted with the idea” of firing Wray. But back in April 2020, Trump’s zeal to oust Wray “was intense as it ever was and pretty constant then,” recalled another former senior Trump official. On this occasion, it’s unclear what exactly had sparked Trump’s anger. But at the time, the president had recently beaten back Democrats’ first effort to impeach him — and felt liberated, the officials said.