Oops! Don't eat the bombs, kids!

Yossarian

Lifer
Dec 26, 2000
Bombs same color as rations

====================
UNITED NATIONS (CNN) -- The United Nations warned Wednesday that humanitarian food rations being distributed in Iraq by U.S.-led coalition forces are wrapped in the same yellow packaging as deadly so-called bomblets being airdropped by the coalition.

Bomblets are individual units of cluster bombs and are made of metal. They are shaped like a soft drink can and are packed with high explosives. Cluster bombs contain about 200 small so-called bomblets designed to scatter themselves over a large area, targeting troops and military vehicles.

A written release from the U.N. International Children's Emergency Fund said, "Confusing unexploded ordnance with food places children at huge risk of injury or death. UNICEF urges coalition forces to urgently change the color of these rations."

U.N. spokesman Fred Eckhard said, "Humanitarian daily rations being handed out by U.S. and U.K. forces in southern Iraq are wrapped in bright yellow plastic wrap, a color that is identical to the color of a bomblet that has been used in airdrops in the fighting. UNICEF is urging coalition forces to use rations that are wrapped in other colors besides yellow to avoid confusion."

While -- unlike bomblets -- the rations are not being air dropped, UNICEF said, "children could still confuse the ration and the unexploded ordnance."

The U.S. Central Command did not offer immediate comment on the U.N. warning.

Shortly after the beginning of the U.S. bombing of Taliban and al Qaeda fighters in Afghanistan in 2001, possible confusion between bomblets and food rations prompted the U.S. military to broadcast warnings to inform people how to differentiate between bomblets and airdropped food parcels, both of which were yellow.

At the time, weapons experts said as many as one in 10 bomblets failed to explode on impact and posed a considerable danger, particularly to children who were attracted to them because of their bright coloring.
====================

Well that was a good color choice! Campbells or ka-POW!

Grey

Platinum Member
Oct 14, 1999
What the hell, why haven't they changed the color scheme already? I don't know the shelf life for bombs but it cannot be that high with recent events.

charrison

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by: Grey
What the hell, why haven't they changed the color scheme already? I don't know the shelf life for bombs but it cannot be that high with recent events.

Probably because the bomblett does not look like a food package. Probably because there are already food distribution centers set up in iraqi for the oil for food program.

Marshallj

Platinum Member
Mar 26, 2003
Originally posted by: Grey

Bombs last pretty long. People still occasionally get killed by bombs that failed to detonate in WW2.

drewshin

Golden Member
Dec 14, 1999
this could be avoidable, just a little irresponsible. maybe yellow is cheaper to build...

Picture of Bomblet and Food
bomblet on left/food on right.

I guess if you're a starving kid if you see yellow you think food.

Fencer128

Platinum Member
Jun 18, 2001
Red goes faster. And I've haven't seen much food that's bright blue in colour.

Cheers,

Andy

UltraQuiet

Banned
Sep 22, 2001
If I remember correctly we had this same problem in Afghanistan and one of them got changed.